Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have 1990 3.0 Vulcan. Ok, my belt was squealing, so applied some dishwasher soap to confirm it was the belt. Effectively the noise went away, so I just got another belt. After removing the belt, i checked that all the pulleys spined freely, which they did, except for the PS pump. So, my question is, is it normal that the PS pulley shows some resistance? I mean, I don't think I have PS problems. Please advise.

An unrelated note: I'm picking a rubbery squealing from the front end, but only when the car is warm. It happens when I turn the steering wheel or go over a bump. I read somewhere that it could be the control arm bushings getting dried. Does this make sense to you guys? And if so, can they be replaced or should replace the control arm as a whole? Or could be the tie rod ends?

Thanks in advance. :notworthy:

David

G

·
A slight drag on the PS pump is normal, it's a hydraulic sytem so there will be some resistance.

For the suspension problem, it sounds more like a strut mount that's giving you trouble.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob, thanks for your reply. I was using for reference a previous post where it was mentioned that the pulleys should spin freely... :eek: but they never said that it would not be all of them.. :D

As for the strut mount, is that something that a I could replace myself? My mechanic told me that the struts were getting weak , so i wonder if that's aggravating the problem.. :( what do you think?

Thanks in advance guys, this group is great.
DD

·
Registered
167 Posts
THe strut mount is a job you can tackel yourself if you have spring compressors. Will not go int how tos as you ahve a Gen 2 and mine is Gen 3 but I just did all 4 of my struts

G

·
The strut mount is at the top of the strut, and contains the spring onto the strut. If you're going to replace the struts, always replace the mounts and bearings. It would suck to have to do the job twice. Ask me how I know..... :lol:

As mentioned, struts aren't extremely hard to change, but you'll need a spring compressor, and at least 1/2 inch drive sockets. Some of the bolts are larger, and on a Gen 2, may be a little rusty and difficult to get out. Air tools, as with any other job, make this one a lot easier.

Basically, all gens of Tauruses are similar in how the struts are replaced, and I remember seeing a writeup by Spridget on his Gen 3. I'll see if I can find it and post a link.

*edit* Here's the link, yours would be very similar. Gen 3 struts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob, thanks so much for the info. I looked at the post and it seems doable.. although I may to borrow a bunch of tools from Autozone for this... well, at least a spring compressor for sure.... :unsure:

Now, the question I have is this. Shouldn't a wheel alignment be done after the struts are changed? Because I need to replace my rear tires, and since I'll need an alignment after they are changed as well , why not combine both jobs? Of course, as long as the shop gives me a good 'combo' price deal .... :lol2:

Thanks,
DD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts