Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes, I have. D2 has the same symptoms as D.
Just to be clear, I don't mean the "D" in between "D" and "1", I actually mean "tricking" the transmission into holding 2nd gear.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ohhh... I see. Well, I haven't tried that... Yet. I haven't noticed the problem in lower rpms. It manifests itself around 2000 to 2020 rpms. Just curious - what does this mean to you?
I presume you mean 2000 to 2200 rpms. I could speculate what that means but when diagnosing, the best approach is to start by focusing on as many easy to obtain observations and measurements as possible and ruling out the simplest things. As well as seeing if you get the same behavior in second gear, I think we'd all like to hear if you've followed Jeff K's suggestion. There are videos on youtube that go through this diagnosis and it sounds like you have the scan tool to monitor the long term fuel trim. I would probably do this on Forscan on a laptop.

Codes 171/174 = vacuum leak 99.8% of the time. Check LTFTs on both banks at hot idle and with engine under load with a good scan tool. High positive trims at idle that drop toward zero with engine under load = vacuum leak. Since you have both 171 and 174 codes, vac leak effects both banks. Look for split vac lines, split / rotted PCV hose, etc.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts