Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to the store tonight (Saturday) and when I got there the car wouldn't turn off, so I went home and pulled the coil spark plug wire (to get the engine to shut off) and then the battery. I pulled the key & tumbler out of the steering column, checked to see if it was broke or something, it turned out fine so i put it back in, Then plugged the coil wire back in, then the battery and all the lights came back on the dash the radio came on but when I went to start it, it wouldn't start, nothing no starter no nothing. So i undid the coil wire and battery again and now i don't know what i need to buy. So, which one does it sound like to you guys? I know I need a key and tumbler set up. the control module costs $64 plus tax and the ignition switch is $17 both from Autozone.

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
^^^^^ +1

Ig sw is a common problem on all mid 80s to mid 90s Fords. My guess is when you take it off, it will fall apart in your hands. BTDT a few times.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
They overheat due to the high current that flows thru them. That makes the plastic brittle and it cracks and falls apart...... trust me I have seen SWITCHES (not lock cyls) come out in pieces.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what will i need to do to get it out? it looks to be in a hard to get to place.

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
Held on with 2 security Torx screws. What I do is use a Dremmel with a cutoff wheel to slot them and remove with a flat blade screwdriver.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If your car has a Tilt Steering Column there is a common problem with them, you can start the car normally, but you can't shut it off.

If you feel resistance while turning the Key towards the starting position and feel little or no resistance turning the Key to the OFF position, the linkage described has probably come apart inside the column.

There is a couple of plastic parts that hook together and the one with the pin in it has the pin fall out where the column tilts up and down at it's hinge point area. trouble is they are VERY HARD TO REPLACE, It takes about 5 hours or more to disassemble the steering column to replace them and reassemble the column.

Many CUSS WORDS WILL BE UTTERED while doing the repair. I have done a few of these and I still cuss allot Myself during the repair.

Removing the steering column is recommended but that adds much more time to the repair. It is almost 75 percent removed during the repair above.

If you have this problem you can shut down the engine by disconnecting the battery, only, repete ONLY disconnect the MINUS (-) TERMINAL to prevent any shorts. YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR PRESETS on the radio, clock, seats, and vehicle computer, Etc..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING!, WARNING!, WARNING!

Today's ignition systems are very high voltage, the spark plugs wires cary approximatily 50,000 Volts of high energy to fire the Spark Plugs with a very HOT SPARK and even more Voltage on some of the DIS Systems , this high voltage energy can KILL YOU!!!!!!

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT DISCONNECT A SPARK PLUG WIRE WHILE CHECKING FOR SPARK IN YOUR TROUBLESHOTING, INSTEAD, CONNECT A SPARK PLUG, OLD OR NEW, TO THE PLUG WIRE AND GROUND IT TO THE ENGINE TO CHECK FOR SPARK.

The engine ignition systems of today are not your Fathers or Grandfathers Ignition Systems, you could do that on their vehicles without any problems, but NOT ON TODAYS HIGH TECH HIGH VOLTAGE VEHICLES.

SO PLEASE BE CAREFULL, YOU MAY SAVE A LIFE, AND IT MIGHT BE YOUR OWN.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Engine and Transmission will act a little Differently after dsconnecting the battery and restarting after re-connecting the battery, the Computer (PCM) has to RE-LEARN your driving Characteristics, which is does fairly quickly.

Leave it disconnected until you need to re-start the car, I know that this is a real pain, but you can still use your car until you can get it fixed.

If the symptoms are not as described above, I.E. you can start the engine, but not shut off the engine, then there may be other issues to deal with.

You almost have to remove the steering column to replace the Ignition Switch too.

Hope this helps

Dusty

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Dusty, that repair is for the redesign in 96+ Tauruses, not relevant in this case.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dusty, that repair is for the redesign in 96+ Tauruses, not relevant in this case.
Actually, that was my very problem. Except i couldn't start the car either. I found the pin and ripped into the steering column( I took out the column of coarse) put the pin back into its proper place and put the column back together and reinstalled it. It works beautiful now, I do need a new key tumbler though it wasn't so lucky. it came apart in 2 main pieces and 2 little metal pins.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts