Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming in on the final stretch for fixing the AC on the 87 Taurus wagon. the AC hose assembly/AC hose manifold that bolts down on top of the compressor for suction and discharge has a crimped on hose that assists in making the two 90 degree bends complete and up to the High pressure side connection.

The picture below shows the upper one being removed from the 87 wagon. The rubber hose on it actually has ruptured in a couple of places, meaning I cannot use it anymore.

The one lower in the picture wrapped in plastic bags...I removed from my 87 sedan before I scrapped it. That car had been retrofitted for R134a back in August 2000 per the label under the hood, by some shop in Augusta, GA. Looks like that AC shop put on a hose with some clamps. The hose has "AC refrigerant hose" writing stamped on it. Two "IDEAL" brand hose clamps are holding it on, on the ends. Maybe there is glue under the hose? No idea.

Is it ok to use the one in the picture with the hose clamps? Or should I go find someone that can put on a line 3/4 foot fitted line. The replacement assembly from the store is 130-170$ ! A lota $$$ for when I only need a new small piece of hose potentially.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
Dont use hose clamps on AC lines. If you take the original to a hydraulic shop or AC shop, they should be able to remove the bad crimped on hose and crimp on a new piece of hose.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too bad I threw out the one that was on the wagon :( Woops.

I finally found a shop in Columbia that did AC hoses. For Google purposes...
If you are looking for a shop in Columbia, SC that does hydraulic and ac a/c hoses: Mid State Auto Electric, ask for Larry Skipper. 516 North Lucas St West Columbia, SC

They also do Alternator and Starter rebuilds.

Dude was awesome...said (and looked) like he'd been making hoses for the past 20 years. Said I can pick it up after work on Monday, $30.

He informed me that the repair job on the setup with the plastic bags was typical about 10-15 years ago (using hose & clamps).

I may make a quick run to the yard and see if I can find a better replacement, as the more I think about it, it appears that the assembly was compression fitted and hacked off some metal...maybe a good idea? Maybe not?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the new hose setup (cost $40).

Beats buying a whole new assembly...

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
Looks good, Nick! You are on your way to ice cold AC in the wagon, just in time for winter (or what you southern guys call winter anyway).

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey it's cold down here to us! :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts