Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking down at the bootom of the radiator, through the bottom two holes in the bumper and saw two coolers in front of the radiator. One was about the width of the radiator but only about an inch or so thick with fins on it. I am assuming this is a trans. cooler? The other one was also as long as the radiator but it had no fins. It was just a cylindrical tube. Is this also part of the trans cooler or is it an oil cooler. They both looked factory. Should they be replaced with aftermarket parts, and am I correct in their identification?

Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
If it is a gen 3 then yes. Some cars have a powersteering cooler which is the long one with fins and I think all have the secondary trans cooler which has no fins.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have mentioned what I drive. It is a 97 Taurus Gen III Vulcan. Thanks for the replies. Should I replace the stock cooler for an aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The one with fins is the PS cooler.. the winmpy tube with 3/8" hoses at the ends is the ranny cooler

I guess ford engineers think PS fluid is gettig more hotter..

anyways as per shoz123, there is also a tranny cooler in the radiator.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts

Also, keep in mind there is an A/C condenser in there too. It should be almost touching the radiator. It is a wide flat panel, though, not just a straight pipe with fins on it, like the PS cooler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts