Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has been puling to the right a little bit with a bit of vagueness (a bit of play) in the steering wheel when going straight. I took it back to the body shop where I had work done a few months ago and they were telling me that the tires that I bought afterwards were the culprit because they have a soft sidewall (they're Cooper Trendsetters which are low-budget 40k tires).

Anyways, I asked for a re-alignment but everything was in spec so they just swapped the front tires from left to right and bumped up the tire pressure to 40 psi. Well, I measured the tire pressure afterwards. Both rear tires are at 36 psi, the LF tire is at 34 psi, and the RF tire is at 38 psi.

The car drives straighter and the play in the steering wheel is less, but the difference in PSIs I'm not really comfortable with. Is this a reasonable solution (I know tire wear will be an issue, but besides that?)?

I also asked about changing the struts and they recommended changing the rear struts before changing the front struts if I were to just change out one set. I wanted to change out the front set since it seemed like the fronts do more work and I don't really mind SAS if I'm going to be saving a good chunk of change. What do you guys recommend?

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Mar 28 2009, 07:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713236
The car has been puling to the right a little bit with a bit of vagueness (a bit of play) in the steering wheel when going straight. I took it back to the body shop where I had work done a few months ago and they were telling me that the tires that I bought afterwards were the culprit because they have a soft sidewall (they're Cooper Trendsetters which are low-budget 40k tires).

Anyways, I asked for a re-alignment but everything was in spec so they just swapped the front tires from left to right and bumped up the tire pressure to 40 psi. Well, I measured the tire pressure afterwards. Both rear tires are at 36 psi, the LF tire is at 34 psi, and the RF tire is at 38 psi.

The car drives straighter and the play in the steering wheel is less, but the difference in PSIs I'm not really comfortable with. Is this a reasonable solution (I know tire wear will be an issue, but besides that?)?

I also asked about changing the struts and they recommended changing the rear struts before changing the rear struts if I were to just change out one set. I wanted to change out the front set since it seemed like the fronts do more work and I don't really mind SAS if I'm going to be saving a good chunk of change. What do you guys recommend?[/b]

Put the same amount of air in each tire and change out whichever set needs changed out

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edited original post. I meant "changing out the rear struts before changing out the front struts."

·
Registered
308 Posts
You could swap tires with someone to see if your problem stops. I have heard that the softer sidewall tires do wander depending on the road conditions. Some say that after a few weeks/months it will go away. I think Cooper has a 45 day return policy?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts