Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah, the GEM. Not very shiny but expensive nonetheless.

Yelp, if you read the title then there's no need to preface.
Known Symptoms:
Door Chime: Opening the driver's door sounds the chime, even when the key is out. When I first bought her jiggling the key-hole (ignition switch) usually did the trick, but the trick now eludes me. as of the last couple of weeks though, the chime itself has been intermitted.
Lights and Windows: When I bought her, often when I start 'er up, the manual dome and map lights, as well as the power windows (not the album) wouldn't work for about a minute or so. This has mostly gone away but they were starting to act up again the other day, but with accessory power, no motor.

Other Things that are Probably Unrelated but Heck if I Know:
Cruise Control: Was finicky, then dies outright. Ran a self test and it looks like it could be the deactivator switch.
Starting Woes: Sometimes gives a no-crank. Replaced the starter, solenoid, and ignition switch (the whiteish box in the steering column). Very intermittent. Every time I fiddle with the switch, it seems to work fine for a while. Engine also has an intermittent chirp.

So, in short, do I have a bad GEM? or are there a bunch of other things that are bad?

·
Super Moderator
7,694 Posts
Replace the ignition switch.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure I could get one for cheap, but I'd like to know if it really is. Or do I just have to try it and find out?

Replace the ignition switch.
Done that already.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm sure I could get one for cheap, but I'd like to know if it really is. Or do I just have to try it and find out?
I would go to junkyard and get a cheap one and swap it. When I got my Taurus last year, my GEM was faulty. My drivers window wouldn’t go down. I had to splice some wires together to bypass the GEM module and get the window working again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Cfella
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing