Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove some 250 miles today through the Holland tunnel with stop and more stop and a tiny bit of go once in a while and then on to the highway doing 60/70. In the stop n go traffic I had the air on and the gauge needle never moved. It registers about 3/8ths.
I have 2 other Fords, a 7.3 F250 and a Ford Festiva and neither vehicles gauges work like this.
A:Is this normal
B:If it is normal will the needle shoot to overheating if there's a problem or gradually show it getting hot.
Hate driving with gauges I don't trust.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Drove some 250 miles today through the Holland tunnel with stop and more stop and a tiny bit of go once in a while and then on to the highway doing 60/70. In the stop n go traffic I had the air on and the gauge needle never moved. It registers about 3/8ths.
I have 2 other Fords, a 7.3 F250 and a Ford Festiva and neither vehicles gauges work like this.
A:Is this normal
B:If it is normal will the needle shoot to overheating if there's a problem or gradually show it getting hot.
Hate driving with gauges I don't trust.
3/8ths would be colder than normal, and 5/8ths would be above normal. Is this what you mean? I wouldn't worry too much if it was at 3/8ths. I would however, in any case, check the thermostat.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My temp guage is garbage. (03 SES FFV) - used to go from C to 3/8 in the blink of an eye and stay there.

Bought a new sensor/switch from NAPA and the guage was dead.

Bought a new motorcraft sensor/switch (MOTORCRAFT SW5174) and now the guage starts way below cold and slowly works it's way to 3/8 and never goes higher.

I don't trust it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My temp. gauge needle never gets above ~ 3/8ths...and the gas mileage is poor @ ~ 15 -16 mpg. My guess is there is a connection, but that's all I have to report.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts