Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been looking at cars in the mid-teens to 20k, and I’ve seen a couple 2011-2013 SHOs pop up. It seems like a great car, as there aren’t many twin turbo V6s you can find for that cheap, and reviews are all high. Is there a reason that no one on reddit ever recommends them? I know at first they “lost” to the SS, but they are much cheaper now, and seem like a good deal. What other similar cars would you recommend in that price range?

·
Super Moderator
8,008 Posts
Biggest issue with at the FWD/AWD Cyclone 3.5 and 3.7 turbo or NA is the internal water pump. If the pump fails in a certain way it dumps coolant into the oil and destroys the engine. Even if caught early so the engine isnt killed, replacing the pump is a BIG and EXPENSIVE job, typically costing over .$1200.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
328 Posts
Biggest issue with at the FWD/AWD Cyclone 3.5 and 3.7 turbo or NA is the internal water pump. If the pump fails in a certain way it dumps coolant into the oil and destroys the engine. Even if caught early so the engine isnt killed, replacing the pump is a BIG and EXPENSIVE job, typically costing over .$1200.
What year did Ford start doing the internal water pump?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Same engine in pickup has the pump exterior. Ford did the pump inside to shorten the engine to make it fit front wheel drive.
Maybe they should use a better part. My '03 Sable has 190K on OE pump. My '03 Sable wagon 152K on OE pump.
However my '11 Buick 3.9 had the pump bearing go bad at 74K. One hour labor charged by a small local shop to replace. And in that area, I could replace the belt in 5 minutes, the Alt in 15 mins. Does not make me like the car though.
-chart-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts