·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Yes. It is.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Definately deserves classic status!!!!

I take issue with one statement in the article: "The Taurus unleashed the modern day aerodynamic movement, a sweeping change in design that was embraced by domestic and foreign automakers". The Taurus may have started the aero trend for 4 door family cars, but it was the 83 Thunderbird that got the aero trend started in the US.... 3 years ahead of the Taurus.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Definately deserves classic status!!!!... but it was the 83 Thunderbird that got the aero trend started in the US.... 3 years ahead of the Taurus.
IMO, it was started by an even earlier model Ford....

1967 Ford Mustang Fastback...

·
Registered
136 Posts
That's a tough question. There ain't many of these early Taurus cars left in my area. Their major weakness was rust.

I attend a lot of "classic" and "special interest" car shows throughout the year. Generally, the classic car shows consist of vehicles that are 1980 and older (it may vary from show to show). I know a lot of the organizers in my area have felt pressured to include newer cars in their shows. So they created a "special interest" section which accomodates the newer cars. We're talking new Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, etc. It's highly unlikely they would allow a 1986 Taurus or any other daily driver into the show unless it was for example a SHO model or customized. Where would they draw the line?. Next thing it will be a Chevette.

Believe it or not, I've seen some K-cars appearing at shows and that's something I never thought would ever happen. They are mostly the woodie convertibles that came out in the 80s. I belong to a Mopar group and this same topic has come up there too.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would say so. Especially the SHO. And speaking of it's status... I wonder why no one has cloned the Robocop Police cruisers?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yes and no. my 80 olds 442 w30 is a classic car. 86 taurus, i dont know.
the only way i could see an 86 getting any worth is if it has less than 5k miles, fully loaded with rare options, and well maintained. In about 5-10 years it may have some interest. I really don't see any older Tauruses around in good condition. I saw a gen 1 in mint condition driven by some old lady and I was impressed.

Haven't been on the forums in a year. How's everyone?

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
We arent talking about the $ value of the car or a particular cars condition. We are talking about the significance of the car in the automotive industry. I think many gearheads, even fans of other makes, would have to agree that the 86 Taurus was one of the most significant, if not the most significant car of the 1980s.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We arent talking about the $ value of the car or a particular cars condition. We are talking about the significance of the car in the automotive industry. I think many gearheads, even fans of other makes, would have to agree that the 86 Taurus was one of the most significant, if not the most significant car of the 1980s.

Thanks, and well stated, Jeff. With the extensive engineering choices found in today's vehicles, we forget the empty expanse of vehicle design that was found in the late 70's and early 80's. The 86' Taurus changed that for the US market!

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Taurus History

Thanks, and well stated, Jeff. With the extensive engineering choices found in today's vehicles, we forget the empty expanse of vehicle design that was found in the late 70's and early 80's. The 86' Taurus changed that for the US market!
When The Taurus first was designed, the writers said it would brankrupt Ford. Too much cost. Then they said it would be the death of Ford because car makers must redesigh every 4-5 years to stay in business.

So what is 25 years later?

Those who can do, do. Those who cannot do, teach. Those who can do either write articles about the frist ones.

Since I was a teacher, I can be a bit not constructive about teaching.

Much of the original design still exists today.

My first fuel injected was 84 LTD. Ran it's life out and was sold wrecked with high miles, friend baught it and put the engine and trans in another car. Never had an issue except the ign pickup on the side of the dist. Ford got that FI right the first time, except for that dumb ign module location. Of course they needed to be early to FI due to their crappy carbs at the time. They were slow to move that ign module.

-chart-

·
Registered
701 Posts
That's one thing that can be said about Ford, their early electronic fuel injection just worked. I've owned enough 80's era GMs and always had issues and bugs with the FI on those cars. At least Ford had the foresight to put the TFI module on the outside of the distributor. That's alot easier and quicker to change out than than pulling apart the distributor to get to the HEI module on the GMs.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Ign Pickup

That's one thing that can be said about Ford, their early electronic fuel injection just worked. I've owned enough 80's era GMs and always had issues and bugs with the FI on those cars. At least Ford had the foresight to put the TFI module on the outside of the distributor. That's alot easier and quicker to change out than than pulling apart the distributor to get to the HEI module on the GMs.
Yea but: The pickup was inside and you needed to take it apart, gear and pin to replace the pickup. My experience is the electric pin connectors corroded. I carried a spare distributer and coil in my trunk for years, one for the 3.8 and another for the 3.0, they are different but both have the same failures. And I changed a dist beside the road. Old school skill here. Got me home. Another one limped home and I changed that one out in my garage.

-chart-

·
Registered
25 Posts
In short, the '86 Ford Taurus did redefine the automobile industry with its organic styling cues. Frankly the '86 is a classic car....basic criteria is 25 years old. I find it funny that many Ford owners bad mouth the Taurus then when they take a ride in one it makes them think about the quality of the car. Yes to classic car status. :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The only problem I see with it is they weren't "expensive" cars, they were pretty standard. With that in mind a lot of people neglect and don't cherish it, leaving most of them bone pickings at a scrapyard.

I'd say its a classic. It's got everything it needs to be one, plain and simple. And with an SHO model, thats pretty much a sports car. Can't go wrong there.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Classic

In short, the '86 Ford Taurus did redefine the automobile industry with its organic styling cues. Frankly the '86 is a classic car....basic criteria is 25 years old. I find it funny that many Ford owners bad mouth the Taurus then when they take a ride in one it makes them think about the quality of the car. Yes to classic car status. :)
For me, the classic is the '87 & '88 Sable LS with the white monochrome and basket allow wheels is a car with class. All white. I had '87. Gave to my younger daughter, traded it back and gave it to my older daughter, traded it back and later sold it. I bought it with 90K and do not remember how many after all of drove it for many years.

But that is just my take.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Chart, that reminds me...I saw a monochrome one up in NY for sale a couple of years ago (AutoTrader). Car looked to be in fantastic shape for its age. No signs of rot visible from the pictures. I'm guessing they are as rare as an MT-5 these days?

There's a great condition 87 Sable LS out in AZ on eBay right now. Mercury : Sable | eBay

1 - 18 of 18 Posts