Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is that part that looks like a 3 inch diameter can on the gas line near the rear passenger side tire of a 97 Taurus, Is that some sort of a filter?

My son had his 97 at a friends house yesterday and went to start it and it choked at first and finally started after the 4th attempt and when he pulled away he noticed a large spot on the driveway. Upon closer inspection he noticed a leak coming from the area around this can shaped thing and he hobbled the car home. He lost a few gallons of gas in the process and by the time I got a chance to look at it, a few hours later, everything was dry.

I may have to put some more gas into it to see where it is leaking from tonight. I did change the gas tank on it over a month ago with no problems since and was wondering... if I have to change that can thing, if I need to release the pressure with that anti-collision switch in the trunk first or not.

Any suggestions of what to look for or typical problems of this sort on this model would be appreciated

thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
That is the fuel filter. When I change them, I just let the car sit overnight, and the pressure bleeds off to a very low value. Some gas will still spill even with zero pressure in the lines, so have a pan under it. You can disable the inertia switch and crank / run it until it dies, but this will likely set a pump secondary circuit failure DTC.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff K-

I had to order a new filter and tried to install it today but I noticed that who ever last replaced the filter didn't put the hose locking clips on. The filter came with a newer style plastic clip for the new style hose but I have the older braided stainless steel hoses and nee dthe clips.

Unfortunately, these clips are not easy to come by. So far I have checked 5 bone yards in my area and they all have the newer plastic type.

The ford dealer will have to order them special.

How come these are so hard to find?

was there a recall on them or something?

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Might try dorman Help! section @ most auto parts stores. They usually carry an asst. of mixed ford fuel line(filter) clips.

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
I am surprised you had to order a filter. That filter is the same as used on millions (maybe 10s of millions) of Fords since they went high pressure EFI in the early 80s. I have never had trouble finding filters at any parts stores. Usually multiple brands are available, and many, if not most, come with new white clips.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dorman doesn't have the old style metal clips for the braided line, just the new plastic replacement type.... I wonder why these metal clips are not readily available...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts