Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've used Simple Green to try to clean wheels, but you still need elbow grease. Lots of it. I don't think it ever hurt my aluminum wheels.

I think Simple Green would strip the wax off the finish of a car, but it wouldn't remove a clearcoat. There are better products to use for car washing. The best idea for car washing is to select a brand, like Mother's or Meguiar's, and use their line of products exclusively. They have high paid chemists put those compounds together, and their car wash works well with their pre-wax cleaner, and their wax. Likely, their car wash won't remove their wax that you so painfully applied. Avoid any "quick shine" products, because they probably contain silicones, which are a quick and easy way to a cheap shine and a crazed clearcoat.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Holy crap!!! :eek:

DO NOT USE SIMPLE GREEN ON THE PAINT

</heart attack>

Simple green can eat at aluminum and oxidize, there are much better things to use on wheels. If you have really bad brake dust, get some Eagle One A2Z.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by Sablewagon@Jul 14 2004, 10:48 AM
I've used Simple Green to try to clean wheels, but you still need elbow grease. Lots of it. I don't think it ever hurt my aluminum wheels.

I think Simple Green would strip the wax off the finish of a car, but it wouldn't remove a clearcoat. There are better products to use for car washing. The best idea for car washing is to select a brand, like Mother's or Meguiar's, and use their line of products exclusively. They have high paid chemists put those compounds together, and their car wash works well with their pre-wax cleaner, and their wax. Likely, their car wash won't remove their wax that you so painfully applied. Avoid any "quick shine" products, because they probably contain silicones, which are a quick and easy way to a cheap shine and a crazed clearcoat.
Umm... what do you mean by your last sentence?

A normal car wash is fine, and will not strip waxes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Originally posted by n2_space+Jul 14 2004, 10:53 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (n2_space @ Jul 14 2004, 10:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Sablewagon@Jul 14 2004, 10:48 AM

A normal car wash is fine, and will not strip waxes.[/b][/quote]
Which "last sentence"? About the "quick shine" stuff?

Any silicone containing stuff will ultimately craze the clearcoat. "Quick shine" polishes usually are silicone-based. They might shine quickly, but the shine doesn't last like a paste wax does.

"Simple Green" hasn't hurt my aluminum wheels, and I've used the stuff since I bought my 87 Sable with those accursed cross-spoke aluminum wheels. I've used the stuff, but it's not particularly very effective. The best results I've had for cleaning the intricate spokes in aluminum wheels is a soft brush and what's left in the car wash bucket when I'm finished with the car.

Anyone who cares about their car is best advised to select a brand, like I mentioned, and stick with their line of car care stuff.
I like Meguiar's. But, Mother's, Eagle One, Zaino, Zymöl, and lots of others are good, too.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by Sablewagon+Jul 14 2004, 04:57 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sablewagon @ Jul 14 2004, 04:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 14 2004, 10:53 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Sablewagon
@Jul 14 2004, 10:48 AM

A normal car wash is fine, and will not strip waxes.
Which "last sentence"? About the "quick shine" stuff?

Any silicone containing stuff will ultimately craze the clearcoat. "Quick shine" polishes usually are silicone-based. They might shine quickly, but the shine doesn't last like a paste wax does.

"Simple Green" hasn't hurt my aluminum wheels, and I've used the stuff since I bought my 87 Sable with those accursed cross-spoke aluminum wheels. I've used the stuff, but it's not particularly very effective. The best results I've had for cleaning the intricate spokes in aluminum wheels is a soft brush and what's left in the car wash bucket when I'm finished with the car.

Anyone who cares about their car is best advised to select a brand, like I mentioned, and stick with their line of car care stuff.
I like Meguiar's. But, Mother's, Eagle One, Zaino, Zymöl, and lots of others are good, too. [/b][/quote]
What do you mean craze? Silcones are fine for the paint, so long as it is not a fresh repaint that hasn't cured. If by quick shine stuff you mean QD's (quick detailers), no they are not meant to be used for protection, they are final or last minute touch ups... nothing more.

You can use any good brand you want... those brands are consumer level ones, and there are a lot more out there that are better (except Meguiar's... but I only use their professional line with a couple of rare instances) if you get into professional level stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts