Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all,

So I did my oil change today. and found the oil filter I grabbed from NAPA autoparts store (NAPA Proselect 21516) is a little longer than my old Motorcraft FL-400s. The thread is the same and it fits without problem. However, I am just wonder if there's anything I need to worry about putting it on my car? The guy in the autopart store seems pretty sure that it can be used. I am aware that I might need to put in a little more oil. other than, anything I need to be aware of?? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
NAPA filters are very good quality filters. They are made by Wix labs.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Original Motorcraft filter was longer too. They shorten it when they added the "S" (silicon valve).

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Motorcraft Filter

Original Motorcraft filter was longer too. They shorten it when they added the "S" (silicon valve).
I had a '96 and now have '02 Lin Cont. Both get slow to pick up oil on start when you get several miles on the change. I used different brands with no change until the Motorcraft with silicone valve. That makes a difference. My 2 Sables DOHC do not have that issue, but I only use Motorcraft now, and for a reason that I can hear. I get them at WalMart and they are low cost. Only issue is, they seem hard to get the thread started. And the last one, the gasket stayed on the engine, not the filter.

And as to size, I had a '72 Dodge dart, 318. They came out with a bulletin and letter to owners to not use the filter directed in the manual. New number, shorter length. Dire warning, that the steering shaft could break the filter. So it used an odd filter, only used for that one application. Then they said the shorter filter could be used other applications.

Nothing is easy or simple.

-chart-

·
Registered
1 Posts
They are amazing filters the i would recommend using the napa gold filter because that one is actually made by wix. The pro select is like an equivalent to a puralator filter. These are the two filters from napa that the ford taurus will accept: 21516, proselect and 1516 napa gold filters. I have used both and know for a fact that they both work.

I drive a 2007 Ford Taurus with the 3.0L V6 Vulcan OHV 182CC

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thinking about using a NAPA ProSelect filter for my next oil change also. Did some research on it and I would say that about 80% of people recommend this filter. This all comes after reading the negative reviews about the FRAM filters, which I never had any issues with in the past. Any additional comments about the ProSelect filter would be appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts