Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m replacing the oil pan and gasket on my 03 taurus 3.0. I have my torque wrench set a tad low at 105 inch lbs. this feels like a lot of torque for an oil pan. I put this torque on a bolt on the body and bent the washer before it clicked off. Is it really that much torque or is my wrench not clicking off right?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes, that's the specified torque for oil pan bolts. Yes, it seems high for the application. 80 in/lbs would be sufficient, but use your own discretion. I am a certified master mechanic for 42 yrs. At G.M. we spec 9NM for a bolt this size (80 in/lbs)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, 108 in/lbs would be 9ft/lbs, So that seems about right. Hard part about torquing this light is making sure to feel the click on the inch/pound torque wrench. Very subtle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, 108 in/lbs would be 9ft/lbs, So that seems about right. Hard part about torquing this light is making sure to feel the click on the inch/pound torque wrench. Very subtle.
I’m familiar with the tools. I had that issue on a larger torque wrench where I couldn’t feel the click, but it was clicking off. This one is a 1/4 drive torque wrench. The click is nice and prominent, but I’m bending a washer before it clicks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that's the specified torque for oil pan bolts. Yes, it seems high for the application. 80 in/lbs would be sufficient, but use your own discretion. I am a certified master mechanic for 42 yrs. At G.M. we spec 9NM for a bolt this size (80 in/lbs)
I typically use the ol “calibrated wrist” for some pans. The person before me had the pan all bent up before from over torque. So I wanted to make sure I had the proper torque. I had to straighten it out and eventually get a new pan. That’s the one I have in now. It just kind of threw me off when I went to test the click on the body and it bent the washer before clicking off. 80 in/lbs sounds like a much more reasonable torque. If my wrench is right, 120 in/lbs is pretty high for pan bolts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts