Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I got a used 2005 Taurus SEL about 6 months ago and I love it so far - but I've got one little issue. Earlier today I wanted to try setting the keyless entry keypad code, and I hunted around for the code everywhere. I finally found it thanks to a guide on here but it doesn't seem to be working :(

When I press 7/8 and 9/0 the doors lock, but the factory code (5 big #s) on the computer module do nothing. From what I understand even if you push one button the interior and keypad lights should come on - but that doesn't happen no matter which button I push.

The car was used as a rental car in the past (according to carfax) so is it possible they disabled the keyless unlock feature somehow? Or do you think the keypad could simply be dead?

Still, I find it weird how it locks perfectly fine. And the remote unlock/lock works fine, so I don't see how it could be a fuse problem. It's just weird....

I do live in upstate NY so is it possible some water/ice/slush/rain/whatever else falls from the sky could have fried something in the pad?

Thanks in advanced:)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Well you have confirmed that buttons 7/8 9/0 work. Push 1/2, see if lights come on...let them go off. Repeat for the other two buttons. If one of the buttons doesn't light up, you have found the problem. You'll want a replacement keypad from a 2001-2007 Taurus or 2001-2005 Sable.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Is it built into the door handle or separate? If not built-in, it's a remote for type device and the factory code won't work. You may need a new one in that case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah none of the other buttons work - not even the 7/8 and 9/0 make it light up when i hit them. It's one of the built in oem keypads - right below the handle. Is the replacement something I'd be better off having a dealership install, or is it a pretty easy diy?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Easy DIY. You have to remove the inside door trim panel and it's right there.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yeah none of the other buttons work - not even the 7/8 and 9/0 make it light up when i hit them. It's one of the built in oem keypads - right below the handle. Is the replacement something I'd be better off having a dealership install, or is it a pretty easy diy?
Interesting, the 7/8 9/0 don't light up. But they do function. There is a separate illumation wire. Under the dash, up by your left foot, you should see two small black connectors and one larger white connector. How do the wires look? Ford's dumb placement will lead to the wires getting chaffed with age for people with larger feet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys - I'll check out the wires too. I did notice when I was becoming a contortionist to get the factory code that some of the plugs and connectors down there seemed a bit loose, so it wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of wires were cut/loose.

I'll let you know how it goes - thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts