Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering is my car rare? My car came with factory 4 wheel disk brakes. All the other taurus cars I have seen my gen have drums in the rear? Was this a 3.0l option or what is the deal?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by WarSong@Mar 7 2004, 01:38 PM
DO you have an SHO?

I've seen a '97 Contour with four wheel disc brakes, and while I'm no means an expert on Contours I don't think they came standard with 4 discs.
I thought you could only get 4 wheel discs on a contour if you have the sport package with a manual transmission?

taurus_attack, are you the original owner? If not, then the previous owner may have upgraded the brakes. If you are the orignal owner, and it's not an SHO, then that IS pretty weird.

·
Registered
111 Posts
taurus wagons & sho's come with disc's, 24v Contours (with some sort of package) can come with 4 wheel disc's & the SVT Contours come with the 4 wheel disc's.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
all gen 1's had 4 wheel disc's and i think so did gen 2 but not to sure about that but i am sure about gen 1's

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I've never seen factory discs on a 2G sedan that wasn't an SHO. Weird. Did the SE's have ths option?

What is your car?

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
my 95 has rear drums, i also thought 4wheel disks only came on sho's and police package cars

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
my 90 lx has 4 wheel disc's as did my old 90 sho and my current 91

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
94-95 SE's came with rear disks AFAIK.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My '93 GL had 4 wheel discs stock. I think all that had ABS has 4 wheel discs.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Mike is correct about the contour i have an SE 98 contour, and 4-wheel disk brakes were an option if you got the SE model with a manual. the only downside is that it came without ABS.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My mother-inlaws 95GL has stock rear discs and ABS.
My own 93 Sable had rear drums and no ABS <_<

·
Registered
108 Posts
my 92 taurus has all 4 discs. lol couldnt have been the previous owner caus ehe was a dumb a**. and didt know cars had a air filter. lol scyco

·
Registered
25 Posts
my 1990 Gl has rear drums not discs all g1s didnt have 4 wheel disc

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
My gen 3 1998 Taurus SE Sedan and has four wheel disc.

Lets get some things straight here peeps ;-).

All gen 1's did not have four wheel disc. Actually, four wheel discs weren't even standard on SHO's in gen 1, and THAT is a fact...I've seen a few gen 1 SHO's at pick-a-part WITHOUT four wheel disc. Check with your Ford dealer. They weren't standard.

Gen 2 had discs as an option for sedans AND wagons. It didn't matter if you had a Taurus L, GL, LX, or SE. It was an option....and NOT standard on wagons. I had a gen 2 wagon (1992 Taurus L that had rear drums.) The only one it was standard on was SHO's in gen 2.

Same with gen 3. It was an option on everything from G to SHO. Only standard on SHO.

Absolutly NO gen 4's came stock with discs in the back EXCEPT wagons...rear disc is STANDARD on ALL gen 4 wagons.

Last thing...Taurus SE in gen 2 was ONLY IN 1995! Not 1994-1995. The clear headlights found on the SE's WAS available in 1994 as an OPTION on the Taurus LX.

Not flaming ANYONE so please do not take it that way. It'll just settle this post.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts