Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you might remember my post about the Torque converter/front pump seal going on my '97 Duratec Sable a month or so ago after a BG flush: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8443)... Anyway, the thing is at it again.

What's happening now, is when I come to a stop, the car seems like it wants to intermittently pop into gear. Imagine coming to a stop in a manual transmission car and with your foot on the brake, blipping the clutch pedal. It's as if there's a clutch somewhere and it keeps engaging and disengaging itself when I'm at a standstill in Drive. Sometimes when going from Park into Drive, it doesn't get into gear unless you blip the throttle a bit, which results in a hell of a start!

Is it finally dead?
I shelled out around USD$600 to have the seals, torque converter replaced 3000 miles ago.
That would really [email protected] me off!!!!! I don't want my Sable to die! I love it!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Doesn't sound dead, but seriously ill :)

All puns aside, have you checked the service bulletins on your vehicle? Just a thought... maybe is something that has been recalled,but never done on your car. As for what the specific problem might be, I'd be leaning toward to the clutch linkage to investigate first, then the fluid level. You never know. I know I had a dealer once forget to put the proper amount of oil back in after an oil change... plus they smashed the fuel filter and left it. I'm sure others might have better ideas than me :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
if you have to gun it in order to get it to go it sound's . . . .
okay if you give it some gas then while giving gas seem's like a t/c problem.

but when you gas it, then it jerk's into gear then it seem's like a low fluid issue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, let me clarify this a bit... the thing where I mention having to give it gas to make the car engage gear was worded incorrectly. Let me try and clarify things:
  • Drive Car
  • Stop at stop light
  • SOMETIMES car will stutter while standing still in Drive, as if it's disengaging/engaging gear.
  • Give car a little gas (1000-1500 rpm) while standing on brakes to stop the car from doing this stuttering disengage/engage thing
  • Slowly release brake for a smooth start.
If I pull over, stop car - put gear selector in Park then select Drive - it does the same thing.
Seems to do it worse when I manually select 1st gear.

Weird.
Fluid level is great, it's new fluid (MERCON V) with only 3000 miles on it.

I also seem to have a little of what's been described to me as "torque converter shudder"... that is, the car will shudder a bit under acceleration.

Any ideas guys?

G

·
Not sure what you're looking for, but it definitely sounds like the torque converter is going... do you have a warranty on it or anything? Even if you don't, I'd take it back to whoever did it and see what they will do about it...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No warranty. I was advised to have the whole transmission rebuilt (1695 US$) but couldn't afford it. I went ahead and had them replace the leaking front pump seal, axle seals and torque converter.....

I could take it back??? Even after a month / 3000 miles?

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Sounds like a cracked forward piston. My friend's 97 Sable is doing the same thing. This repair usually entails a rebuild, since disassembly of the entire unit is required to replace the piston.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Time for a new car then? :sad:

Another one bites the dust.... 111,000 miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts