Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 1998 Taurus. I've driven it for almost five years and never had this issue. Yesterday I took it for a short drive and errand. When I first got in my car, everything was normal. I parked it on a quiet residential street and left my purse sitting in the passenger seat (I felt safe doing this because the street was deserted, I live in a small town, it was sunny early morning, and I was only going to be inside for 15 minutes). I made sure all the doors were locked. I came back out to my car 15 minutes later, unlocked it, got inside, and immediately felt something was "off." The driver side seat was reclined and scooted back about 2-3 inches and I could no longer reach the pedals. My purse was still sitting where I left it, apparently untouched. I searched some car forums to see if anyone else had this issue, and came up with a few possibilities. It could be a "memory" seat adjustment returning to its place. Except my car does not have a memory seat feature. It could be the "easy exit" activating. Except my car does not have the "easy exit" feature. It could be my thighs accidentally touched the seat adjustment lever. Except this has never happened before and I am positive I didn't touch the levers getting in or out. Also, I would have had to pull them back, not just put pressure on them. It could be my seatbelt hanging up on the lever and moving it. Except my seat belt is pretty loose (it doesn't fully retract when unworn) and I always place it straight down next to the seat when I exit the car. If someone was pranking me, it seems like there would be evidence of the car being broken into, and my purse wouldn't still be there. Do I have a poltergeist? Anyone have a rational explanation, or has this happened to anyone else? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have three questions for you:
1) When you locked the car, did you use the remote keyfob?
2) Do you have a second set of car keys in your purse?
3) Is everything in your purse EXACTLY how it should be?

Here's my theory: One of your neighbours has a scanner that picked up the radio frequency your remote used when you locked the car. He was then able to unlock the car, go into your purse, find your spare car keys, adjust the seat so it would be comfortable for him, start the car, and drive way. Then, before you came back, he put the car back where he found it (but didn't put the seat back in the right place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's an interesting theory. I don't use a remote keyfob (didn't get one when I got the car), I just use a regular key. My keys were in my pocket. Nothing's missing from my purse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I drive a 1998 Taurus. I've driven it for almost five years and never had this issue. Yesterday I took it for a short drive and errand. When I first got in my car, everything was normal. I parked it on a quiet residential street and left my purse sitting in the passenger seat (I felt safe doing this because the street was deserted, I live in a small town, it was sunny early morning, and I was only going to be inside for 15 minutes). I made sure all the doors were locked. I came back out to my car 15 minutes later, unlocked it, got inside, and immediately felt something was "off." The driver side seat was reclined and scooted back about 2-3 inches and I could no longer reach the pedals. My purse was still sitting where I left it, apparently untouched. I searched some car forums to see if anyone else had this issue, and came up with a few possibilities. It could be a "memory" seat adjustment returning to its place. Except my car does not have a memory seat feature. It could be the "easy exit" activating. Except my car does not have the "easy exit" feature. It could be my thighs accidentally touched the seat adjustment lever. Except this has never happened before and I am positive I didn't touch the levers getting in or out. Also, I would have had to pull them back, not just put pressure on them. It could be my seatbelt hanging up on the lever and moving it. Except my seat belt is pretty loose (it doesn't fully retract when unworn) and I always place it straight down next to the seat when I exit the car. If someone was pranking me, it seems like there would be evidence of the car being broken into, and my purse wouldn't still be there. Do I have a poltergeist? Anyone have a rational explanation, or has this happened to anyone else? Thanks in advance!
Scary!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Possible for another drive to open the door with their key and adjust the seat and realize it was not their car so the left it locked up. Both my '99 wagon and sable were fleet cars from Hertz. I was going home one night and opened the car door but realized it was not my car, it was a 2003, same white color as my cars. I locked up and my car was in the next space.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Possible for another drive to open the door with their key and adjust the seat and realize it was not their car so the left it locked up. Both my '99 wagon and sable were fleet cars from Hertz. I was going home one night and opened the car door but realized it was not my car, it was a 2003, same white color as my cars. I locked up and my car was in the next space.
I remember taking my 1976 Toyota Corolla to a shop once. I dropped it off, left them the keys, and left. Later, I found out that there'd been a newer Corolla at the shop, too. They thought it was mine, so they grabbed my keys, and were able to unlock it and maybe even start it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You didn't name the car EDSEL by chance, did you? (sorry, i know that is not helpful at all)--
You say you don't use key-fob at all, so that only leaves either another key to open the door, or perhaps you reclined/moved the seat and forgot to return it to standard position. I know I've done exactly that because I get in the car and fall back forgetting I'd reclined a earlier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts