Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My taurus has been squeaking ( squealing?) for about a month or two now. It's done this before, periodically...and i'm just now getting around to trying to figure it out. It's a 1996 3.0 ohv vulcan engine.
I took the belt off about a month ago, too the idler pulley and the tensioner off with the intent of replacing both...but I got caught up and didn't have time.
I have a bit of free time now, and so i'd like to figure out what exactly is causing this.

i have two pictures- one with the car off and the other on. I took the pics of the tensioner, which has three marks. I've read on tensioner spring test , where you push down and try to judge the play in the tensioner spring.

judging by these pics, can anyone tell me if my tensioner is overdue?

also here is a video of my car running with the devil noise:
video

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
your belt looks like its due for a replacement. i prefer the gator back belt. as far as the tension and idle pulley its cheap insurance to replace them. the belt turns the water pump. a broken pulley can lead to an expensive repair

·
Registered
115 Posts
Be sure to purchase a high quality belt. I purchased a DAYCO belt from Autozone a few months back, had it installed. It worked great for about 3 months then started squaling when the weather got a little cooler. I used the belt spray with no luck. Took the car to the Ford dealer to check the tensioner as I thought it might be that as well. They checked all and said the belt was the problem. Put a Ford OEM belt on and no more squeal.

SUP
2007 SEL

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Be sure to purchase a high quality belt. Put a Ford OEM belt on and no more squeal.

SUP
2007 SEL

+1

I agree as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate it! I was JUST about to go get a dayco belt at autozone- I'd read on here people ranting about dayco but i thought "ahh...they probably don't know what they're talking about..." ha. I'd also read on here people's op's of the goodyear gatorback.
Either way, I'll stay away from the cheap advance/autozone replacements.

Thanks everyone for their input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts