Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1998 Taurus SE with the Duratec 24v DOHC engine, and the engine is shot (at 150,000 miles).

From what I've read on this forum, people have been paying less than $800 for a used engine with low mileage, plus labor.

I've called several places in the Durham, NC area and I'm getting quotes much higher. I've gotten a quote for $1,500 for an engine with 58k miles, plus $2000 labor. I've also gotten a quote for $750 for an engine with 174k miles plus $1770 labor.

Do these sound reasonable?

I'm trying to decide whether it is worth it. I did replace the transmission at 100,000 miles. Any advice about what to do with the car is appreciated.

·
Registered
200 Posts
UNREASONABLE I paid $500 for a DOHC with 55K and $800 to install it

I've got a 1998 Taurus SE with the Duratec 24v DOHC engine, and the engine is shot (at 150,000 miles).

From what I've read on this forum, people have been paying less than $800 for a used engine with low mileage, plus labor.

I've called several places in the Durham, NC area and I'm getting quotes much higher. I've gotten a quote for $1,500 for an engine with 58k miles, plus $2000 labor. I've also gotten a quote for $750 for an engine with 174k miles plus $1770 labor.

I'm trying to decide whether it is worth it. I did replace the transmission at 100,000 miles. Any advice about what to do with the car is appreciated.
Go to Car-part.com and do a search in your area. Found quite a few in my area at a reasonable price. Paid $500 delivered to the shop I wanted to do the install. Labor was $800. I also supplied new oil and filter, and new spark plugs. Wish I gave him the $5 PCV valve which is almost impossible to replace on a Duratec. My coil was iffy too. Got a new one on ebay for $35 less than half of what the auto parts dealers here wanted for a replacement coil.
Shop around and you can get the job done for a lot less than you have been quoted. I also had the installer save other things from the old engine, UIM, cat, ERG valve, etc.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

A dealership or normal shop is going to charge you more than the car is worth. Put an add in you local craigs list for someone to do the swap.
You should be able to find some guy working out of his garage do it
for $300 to $500 + parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts