Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 98,000 on my 1998 duratec. Can i switch to synthetics or semisynthetics? The car looks great and i dont plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. Do you have any brand recommendations? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
There has been a discussion on this before a long time ago in the old forum. On cars with that many miles there are small cracks in the seals. The dino oil that you have been using the past 6 years has helped to seal these cracks. Flushing and switching to a synthetic oil, may clean out your engine and these seals to the point theat they will leak. The worst that could happen is that you would have to overhaul your engine. I am sure there are many that have swithed without any problems. If you really want to ask the experts here at amsoil.Amsoil

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been considering switching to Synthetic oil as well, but I have a 3.8 92'. My car is older, but I have less miles, about 60k. Has your car had regular oil changes? I doubt mine has as when I got it it had really black oil, and the filter was nearly clogged. I changed it about 2 months ago and it's already black again, time for another oil change :eek:

What oil were you think about using?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts