Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Taurus has issues! The two back windows stopped working even though when you press the button you can hear the motor and at the same time the delay in my wipers stopped working, they only work on the highest speed. Put in the shop and the mechanic said it was the computer that needed replacing. $600.00 later it was fixed. Lasted about 1 year and now the same thing is going on. I cant spend another $600. Is it really something with the computer or possibly the multi-function switch?:bandaged: Thanks for the help

·
Registered
587 Posts
it is one of these three thing gone bad. the multi fuction switch ,the generic electronic control module , the wioper hi/lo relay and the low side of the motor it's self. if you got a haynes manual it will make it a lot easier to trace the wiring. start at the wiper motor then see if you got any power there at all it should have 12volts at least on the low side of the motor in low mode . if you do it is a bad wiper motor. if not that do this next trace it to the wiper hi / lo relay test relay see if working corrcetly. because one side is high and one low on the relay and the other the coil it is very easy to replace and cheap to do if you got a digtal multi meter. this is were i do not think it would be the generic electronic module cause it never is but could very well be. this is were testing is needed could also be the multi fuction switch has resistors known to brun out same with the relays. all i can say is start at a and work your way to z. do not get to involved with a bunch of stuff at once it will look like speggetti after a wile if you test to much stuff at once. just take your time you will find it.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If you can hear the motor hum it is either the gears in the motor rusted up or the window is jammed in the track. My bet is the motor.

As far as the wipers that is definitely the MFS. You can try and clean it by dousing it with a 1/2 can of WD 40 and running it through all the functions then blowing it out with compressed air. The end cap can come off the wiper switch. In there will be some hard grease and small contacts. Clean out the old grease and re lube with petroleum jelly and reassemble. It probably will be good as new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts