Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking it was the battery in the dead of winter causing intermittent no starts(but it would start with a jump) I got a new battery. Turned out to be the starter(as evidenced by the no start in the parking lot at interstate batteries where i swapped in the new one!)...so that was replaced too. Fast forward to now, 5 months later. The car has been sitting alot the last couple months, but has been intermittently started and driven, last time was last weekend, about 350 miles RT. It has sat all week, and today it was dead. Put a jump on it for a bit and it started. Drove it over in front of the garage and got a meter on it(analog), charging at maybe 13.7 maybe...as i watch the needle rhythmically moving up then down, which does not seem right to me. Decided to put it on a charger and shut off the car while i went to get it(it had been on the jumper cables for at least 10 mins and then running for another 10+. Came back and had to move the car closer, it started fine. I put the charger on the 10amp/auto setting and it went up over 10 amps and stayed there for at least an hour. Now at 2 hours it is finally under 10amps. Does that seem slow to anyone? Went and found my digital meter, the voltage applied by the charger is 13.8...If i put the analog on it there is no bounce. Im guessing the bounce while running is the regulator circuit and wondering if that is OK or telling me something? So after 2.5 hrs the rate dropped to about 6amps. I disconnected the charger needing to beat the rain...Battery measured 13.06V. Put the cables on and started the car, Charging was up about 14. Using the digital meter it was bouncing from 13.8 to 14.2. I am going to let it sit for a day or 2 now and see what happens. I am hoping i have not developed a parasitic draw... I do note, that on the last start it sounded like the altenator bearing was squealling. It got quieter as the idle settled down, but it had started raining so i was not going to spend any more time on it today.

·
Registered
97 Posts
To test, just disconnect the battery when parking, if it continues to start okay, maybe parasites are eating some electrons; if it still starts hard, that could indicate low charging and maybe bad alt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts