Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I had the starter go out on my car, got it fixed, and now I have it back. However, also yesterday I noticed that my tach was acting funny. The needle would float around and over exaggerate my rpms though the engine was revving normally. I got the car back today and started driving back into town. When I was almost to my destination, the tach started acting funny then I noticed my battery light and my low fuel gauge flicker (I was at right about the point my fuel light was going to turn on anyway). Shortly there after, my a/c started to kick down then back up again cyclically. I got to my destination and shut the car off.

Upon leaving there to head home, I turned the car on and took off. I was running the a/c, then I noticed my tach going nuts again and now more lights were going on. The battery light would flicker, my brakes light would flicker, my gas gauge light was dimming, and my air bag light was blinking at me. All returned to normal once I turned off the a/c except for my tach and airbag light. I got home and let the car idle for a bit, with the a/c on and the a/c off. The idle was rough and the lights on the dash would dim. With the a/c on, it was more exaggerated. All the while, the airbag light was still blinking. So after playing with it, I just shut the car off and went inside... Also, everything seems to be normal when it's just running off of the battery.

My car is a 1995 Taurus with the 3.0l and approximately 210k-230k on it (estimate, replaced the speedometer after I bought because it didn't work). My thoughts are either it's the alternator or the computer. The car was well maintained before I bought it and over the about 40k+ miles I've put on it in just over 2 years it has been well maintained and extremely reliable with just regular wear & tear components replaced. So I'm curious as to what this problem is. Any insights are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
First, check the battery connections and cables, make sure they're clean and on tight. Next, check the grounds, use the topic finder. You probably have a loose ground, or bad connection.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery connections are clean and on good. I haven't looked for a loose ground yet, but I'll check that tomorrow when I have some light.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
So yesterday I had the starter go out on my car, got it fixed, and now I have it back. However, also yesterday I noticed that my tach was acting funny. The needle would float around and over exaggerate my rpms though the engine was revving normally. I got the car back today and started driving back into town. When I was almost to my destination, the tach started acting funny then I noticed my battery light and my low fuel gauge flicker (I was at right about the point my fuel light was going to turn on anyway). Shortly there after, my a/c started to kick down then back up again cyclically. I got to my destination and shut the car off.

Upon leaving there to head home, I turned the car on and took off. I was running the a/c, then I noticed my tach going nuts again and now more lights were going on. The battery light would flicker, my brakes light would flicker, my gas gauge light was dimming, and my air bag light was blinking at me. All returned to normal once I turned off the a/c except for my tach and airbag light. I got home and let the car idle for a bit, with the a/c on and the a/c off. The idle was rough and the lights on the dash would dim. With the a/c on, it was more exaggerated. All the while, the airbag light was still blinking. So after playing with it, I just shut the car off and went inside... Also, everything seems to be normal when it's just running off of the battery.

My car is a 1995 Taurus with the 3.0l and approximately 210k-230k on it (estimate, replaced the speedometer after I bought because it didn't work). My thoughts are either it's the alternator or the computer. The car was well maintained before I bought it and over the about 40k+ miles I've put on it in just over 2 years it has been well maintained and extremely reliable with just regular wear & tear components replaced. So I'm curious as to what this problem is. Any insights are appreciated.
I just replace the alt. on my 95 vulcan. Does the light go away at higher speeds? Does it flicker at lower speeds? Does the power steering feel tighter?

The alt has a stubbon plug on top that gets loose. Try plugging that in..that will stop the battery light from flickering. If it doesn't you could be the alternator. If the alt is dying and you run on battery, the car will eventually stall and the CEL will go on.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but have you measured base batt voltage, then started car, run @ 2000 RPM and measured charging system voltage with and without heavy electrical loads?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this same problem, it a battery problem, i took it to a mechaninc and the battery tested fine, but only to find by elimination, no it is not you alternator, make sure all connections are tight, no interference and ternimals, we soon found out that the battery cells were shot, not noticable on the outside till , or even pop the cap of the safety top. It is a batter fault, replace it adn everything will be fine. pm me for any more questions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Definitely check the grounds the mechanic who replaced the starter may have disconnected one of the grounds along with disconnecting the battery. Also be sure battery posts and cables are very clean and tight all good information. There is also a ground on the starter bolt that may be loose.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If warning lights (e.g., battery, ABS, SRS, or others) start appearing in concert with one another on the dash, immediately suspect the alternator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts