Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum members,

I need some advices/opinion on this matter.

Its a Duratec engine V6 3.0 DOHC, I want to know if it can run with 7 head bolts ? One on the far right (outter engine) is missing.

I know its suppose to be 8, but what if I were to run with just 7 ? Will oil leak /compression loss/ or blown head going to be in the future ?

Or 7 is just as good as 8 bolts ? :05:

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Hi forum members,

I need some advices/opinion on this matter.

Its a Duratec engine V6 3.0 DOHC, I want to know if it can run with 7 head bolts ? One on the far right (outter engine) is missing.

I know its suppose to be 8, but what if I were to run with just 7 ? Will oil leak /compression loss/ or blown head going to be in the future ?

Or 7 is just as good as 8 bolts ? :05:
Um, I would guess no. If you took them off and removed the head, you need to buy a new set of bolts, along with a gasket set. I wouldn't try it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Head bolts are not like wheel studs, where if one lops off you can still safely drive around until you get around to replacing it.

Shame on the parts guy who didn't even recommend replacement head bolts when he sold you the head gasket(s).

Potential issues are compression leak, blowing head gasket, overheating, warping cylinder head, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I agree, there are 8 bolts for a reason. Why are you missing 1 bolt?

That being said, it is possible to run with 7 bolts, but I wouldnt recomend doing it for very long. It will be possible to warp a head and then blow out the head gasket. How long can you do this??? No one knows for sure.

The least I would do would be buy 1 replacement bolt and get it in place ASAP for your own good. I would put it in, and slowly torque it into spec. The correct thing to do would be to replace all the bolts at the same time, and then your going to need a new head gasket as well.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Probably is broken into the block?
I saw that happen when the shade tree mechanic put it in without blowing clean the hole before. It had a little liquid left in th ebottom(from "cleaning" it before) and because liquids are incompressible, the weaker part give - the bolt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply guys... that confirm my suspicions. Yea, the new head bolts and gaskets are on the way.
I lost the head bolt somewhere and couldn't find it... but new ones are the best bet. I dont want to go through hell again with this car, lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you broke a bolt into the block, you'll have to pull the engine and drive it over to a machine shop, or if you're ballsy, drill it. Or, take "fubar engine" out, replace it with a working junk yard engine and call it a day. :D
Ballsy? Sometimes you have no choice, just drill straight.
My friend broke his bleeder in the caliper, and he had no money to replace it. So I was the lucky one to drill through the broken, angled bleeder. Just drill in the center, from small to bigger bits. Didn't even touch the threads. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
If it is broke at the surface or sticking out a little, you can put a nut over it and QUICKLY weld the nut to the broken off shank. I have done this a few times with broken off head bolts with great success. If broken off deep, probably be easier to have car towed to a shop to remove the bolt, and tow it back home than to pull the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts