Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Taurus seems to take a long time to get up to temperature on the gauge and to put out decent heat. My other cars seem to be able to get heat within 5 minutes and the gauge reads 1/2 way between H and C.

I have changed the water pump and thermostat along with the coolant and it has not changed.

Are these cars just cold blooded?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
50/50 mix and right up to the marks on the coolant tank. I also tried burping it in case there was air bubbles in the system.

The factory temp one ( I believe a 192 or 195)

**It does get hot eventually just not quickly like my other cars.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I did not flush the heater core.

What is strange is the gauge moves slowly and heater are slow to give heat. Not just the heater itself.

(How fast does your heat up? What is normal?) Maybe I am spoiled by fast heat in other cars.

·
Registered
834 Posts
No I did not flush the heater core.

What is strange is the gauge moves slowly and heater are slow to give heat. Not just the heater itself.

(How fast does your heat up? What is normal?) Maybe I am spoiled by fast heat in other cars.
[/b]
I'm not sure of the top of my head...but I'll check first start up tomorrow morning...but I think it takes about ten minutes of city driving to reach between the C and H...on a cold day.

I thought your problem was the car was reaching operating temp...but the heat wasn't blowing hot....thats why I asked about the core. :fro:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe that is normal then. My others cars may just warm up really fast.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Mine takes about 15 minutes when temps are below 30.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
My SHO will take about a mile or two of driving from a dead cold motor and 32F temps. Then the blower for the heater kicks up on high. This generally means the water is around 180F.

The t-stat is the culprit if the car does not warm up faster. Maybe due for a new one?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Already put a new thermostat in it (see above post)

Doesn't your SHO have a Yamaha motor?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder if they are set up different then?

·
Super Moderator
8,232 Posts
My 05 SEL Tec & the wifes 04 SES Tec heat up about as fast as my 02 Grand Prix GT...... when it is -5 deg in the morning, they all take a long time to produce decent heat. On a cold morning (lots of those lately) my 05 SEL, the EATC finially turns the blower down from max after about 15 miles of freeway driving ( about 3 miles until I get to work)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I wonder if they are set up different then?
[/b]

They are reverse flow like the 3.0L Duratec. The Vulcan is just too old school. Still one of the primary engine design areas is fast warm up.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reverse flow? Please elaborate.

So if that is the case are you saying the Duratec and Yamaha engine by their design might heat up faster?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
My 99 Taurus with 70k miles has a new water pump, front cover, 195F thermostat and I flushed out the heater core. However, my wife's 2002 Saturn L200 heats up in about half the time as my Taurus.

I think the size of the interior and size of the heater is a factor.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Huh.. My Taurus heats up faster than our 04 Mazda Tribute and 08 Ford Fusion? Not sure on the times but mine is definitely faster.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The temp gauge on the '96-'07 models are just fancy dummy lights. They don't move until the car warms up and usually just sits there in the middle until it overheats and then it starts heading north. Usually once it starts moving off the cold position the engine is warmed up. The older cars ('86-'95) actually had a working temp gauge that fluctuated with the coolant temperature and cooling fans.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
That depends on the engine too. I've found that my gage will accurately record the temp as long as you know where it is pointing and what that temp is as through data logging.

On mine the first mark of the normal range above the cold range is 180F, straight across pointing 3:00 is 190F, pointing at 25 mph is 195F.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts