Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 98 bull for 2 months. MPG is kind of low, around 15.
I heard that fuel additive could help sometimes while others tell me quite different story. Will the additive do car any good or hurt?

Thank you very much for the input

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Originally posted by batrachian@Oct 17 2004, 11:53 PM
I heard that fuel additive could help sometimes while others tell me quite different story. Will the additive do car any good or hurt?

Additive?

As in octane booster? If so, absolutely not!! Waste of money, and could even drop mileage & power slightly.

Additive as in a fuel system cleaner? Occasional use can help (I do it around once a year), and Techron seems to be the most highly rated stuff out there. Just add it to a tank of gas sometime before an oil change, so any residual in the oil can be cleaned out.

If your mileage is that low, it's unlikely that anything in a bottle will help that, there are other issues.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
How many miles are on your vehicle? Do you have a vulcan or duratec motor?

I would definitely change your spark plugs and wires to start out with. I've seen about a 2-3 mpg increase over the old plugs that had 95k miles on them. I was getting about 18/21, now I'm getting about 20/24 mpg. The prongs were beginning to straighten out on the old plugs so I had a gap that was larger than .090" on some of them. I put on Autolite double platinums, you could also use Motorcraft plugs. I wouldn't recommend anything else. I believe they're about $5 a piece.

Next thing you may want to consider is replacing your primary O2 sensors. These are going to be a bit more expensive, but could save some money in the long run.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My is 98 Taurus SE Vulcan, 82K. The manual has the MPG of 16 to 19.
It seems that I have to do a tune up, changing spark plugs.

Will the additives do harm to the car?

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Still not clear on what you mean by an "additive".

Octane booster-type will not hurt, but won't do anything and is a waste of money.

Fuel system cleaner (like Techron) could be of help, but usually a clogged injector or two can help mileage, not necessarily hurt it.

Don't worry about the additives. Do the tune-up and the basic stuff first.

Also, make sure your tire pressures are up. I have seen mileage losses with low tires, old oil, and even old ATX fluid.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If you live in an area that has alcohol in the gas then the additive will do no good. Only reason for an additive is in an infrequently driven car that may have gummed up injectors or water in the fuel.

If you go through a tank a week or so then there is enough cleaner in the fuel already to keep the injectors clean.

When is the last time the filters and plugs been changed?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by metalliman@Oct 18 2004, 03:04 AM
I would definitely change your spark plugs and wires to start out with. I've seen about a 2-3 mpg increase over the old plugs that had 95k miles on them. I was getting about 18/21, now I'm getting about 20/24 mpg. The prongs were beginning to straighten out on the old plugs so I had a gap that was larger than .090" on some of them. I
The electrodes didn't straighten out - the inner electrode simply wore out.

Replacing the HO2S sensors will cost about $100 for both off ebay, but usually will help fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I use octane booster or add 5 gals of Trick Racing 100 once in a while. With the 91 Octane premium my SHO still pings lightly between 2500 -3500 rpm under load less than WOT. When I add the octane booster or some racing gas the pinging goes away. However, the main reason that I can take advantage of the higher octane is because I have a LPM that can still add timing to the engine. If I didn't have the LPM the octane booster would be a waste of money since all Fords are tuned from the factory with the ability to run 87 Octane ok. Some models like the SHO the ECU can adjust the timing to take advantage of better gas.

Bob

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Don't waste your money changing O2 sensors if they haven't failed. When they get lazy and don't switch as fast as they should, or if they fail in any way, they'll set a code. If you really wanna know how well they're working, take the car to a shop and ask them to check - if they have the right diagnostic equipment, they can watch the data from the O2 sensors while it's running, and see if they are operating properly. Usually, once an O2 sensor starts to go, you'll get a code set and the SES light will come on. So if you don't have the SES light on, don't change the sensors.

Do the tune-up, and do a fuel injection service. I don't know how many of the injector cleaners that you dump in the tank actually work. I've heard Lucas products are really good. I really recommend having a proper service done at a shop the uses the equipment that hooks directly into the fuel rail. We do this at my dealership, and i know for a fact that it works. I had a van in the shop that didn't run well. I did a fuel injector test on it, and got poor readings, especially from one injector in particular. I did an injection service, and re-ran the test, and that injector was back in line with the rest, and all the injectors in general were flowing better. I only do this kind of injection service on my own car, and those of my friends and family. Putting the stuff in the tank likely won't hurt, but it may not help as much either.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by batrachian@Oct 17 2004, 11:53 PM

It wont hurt. Do the plug change, and try some Seafoam in your gas tank. Its the shizzy.

-Damon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts