Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a talked with afriend of mine who works for a local Ford Dealer and I left with a heavy heart. Taurus numbers are not good. The new Taurus either SLO/SHO are slow sellers. He sees Ford putting all the effort on Focus and Mustangs. Focus are doing very well in the USA and Europe, Mustangs are doing well too, but what about Taurus? :eek:

It is his personal opinion that Ford is letting the Taurus die out. The competition for midsize sedan is tough and selection is quite large so he and I believe marketing is the key but Ford is just not doing it for the Taurus brand. I am agreeing with him. :angry:

What do you think? :(

Lucky. B)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Ford has never really marketed the Taurus well enough. They need to step up to the plate if the Taurus is going to remain FoMoCo's flagship sedan!

·
Registered
833 Posts
I disagree, the redesign of the Taurus is, imo, very good looking. A bit overdone and overpriced to be called a taurus, but whatever, still a nice car. And they're doing plenty of advertising for it as well. Just because they're not flying off the lots doesn't mean they're not trying to sell them. I see commercials and billboards for the Taurus. And hell, they're even trying to get the cops to use them!! IMO the 08's redesign/renaming should have kept the name and more closely resemble the gen4 and the price should have been kept way down. They screwed up renaming and making a completely different, more expensive car. But die out? Nope.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
QUOTE (lucky13 @ May 30 2010, 10:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807887
The competition for midsize sedan is tough and selection is quite large[/b]
Well, it's a good thing the Gen VI Taurus isn't a midsize car then.

By my estimate, they sold about 50,000 2010 Tauruses in the U.S. That beats the Lucerne, probably beats the Avalon, and comes a little short of the Charger.

·
Registered
870 Posts
QUOTE (goodbrosUIT @ May 30 2010, 12:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807889
I disagree, the redesign of the Taurus is, imo, very good looking. A bit overdone and overpriced to be called a taurus, but whatever, still a nice car. And they're doing plenty of advertising for it as well. Just because they're not flying off the lots doesn't mean they're not trying to sell them. I see commercials and billboards for the Taurus. And hell, they're even trying to get the cops to use them!! IMO the 08's redesign/renaming should have kept the name and more closely resemble the gen4 and the price should have been kept way down. They screwed up renaming and making a completely different, more expensive car. But die out? Nope.[/b]

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with you that the 2010 Taurus isn't a beautifully redesigned machine, cause it is and I would love to have one parked in my driveway! What I'm saying is compared to the way Ford markets their other vehicles, the Taurus always seems to be left behind. The only advertisements I see for the Taurus airing around here is always the same ones. How about swapping someone's ride with a Taurus, instead of a Fusion, Focus or Escape! I'd like to see them swap someones fancy schmancy Lexus with a Taurus SHO!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Uhh, that's kindof a good point, they don't use the Taurus in the "swap your ride" commercials. But still, I see them everyday, on billboards and on the street.

EDIT

Just saw a "swap your ride" commercial. There is a Taurus in the beginning of it, just haven't seen one get swapped yet.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
QUOTE (Taurus3254JA @ May 30 2010, 11:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807895
I disagree, the redesign of the Taurus is, imo, very good looking. A bit overdone and overpriced to be called a taurus, but whatever, still a nice car. And they're doing plenty of advertising for it as well. Just because they're not flying off the lots doesn't mean they're not trying to sell them. I see commercials and billboards for the Taurus. And hell, they're even trying to get the cops to use them!! IMO the 08's redesign/renaming should have kept the name and more closely resemble the gen4 and the price should have been kept way down. They screwed up renaming and making a completely different, more expensive car. But die out? Nope.[/b]

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with you that the 2010 Taurus isn't a beautifully redesigned machine, cause it is and I would love to have one parked in my driveway! What I'm saying is compared to the way Ford markets their other vehicles, the Taurus always seems to be left behind. The only advertisements I see for the Taurus airing around here is always the same ones. How about swapping someone's ride with a Taurus, instead of a Fusion, Focus or Escape! I'd like to see them swap someones fancy schmancy Lexus with a Taurus SHO!
[/b][/quote]
I agree with you, i dont see much advertisement here in the mid east coast for the slo or sho, I suspect ford is being stupid.....again

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Ford needs a unique Taurus commercial...

And I have the right idea. Take the 1986 Taurus commercial, with that amazing jingle, and revamp. Bring it to the 21st century, with the new Taurus.

A traditional vacation with the family car, except one thing has changed, the family car... again!
TAURUS!
The New Ford Taurus, one car designed to meet all your driving needs, as well as the needs of those you're driving.
TAURUS!
Now there's an American car that has exactly what we've been looking for!
TAURUS!
For us!
TAURUS!
Have you driven a Ford, lately?

And of course, put video footage of the Sync system being used with the navigation package, the BLIS system, and of course, a nice road where handling can be used.

Yeah, I love that ad too much... Have it saved on my Zune. :lol:

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
QUOTE (goodbrosUIT @ May 30 2010, 12:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807902
Uhh, that's kindof a good point, they don't use the Taurus in the "swap your ride" commercials. But still, I see them everyday, on billboards and on the street.

EDIT

Just saw a "swap your ride" commercial. There is a Taurus in the beginning of it, just haven't seen one get swapped yet.[/b]
:huh:

There is a full Swap My Ride ad for the Taurus. Here is a copy on Ford's YT channel; it's been airing in the Chicago area about as often as the one with a Fusion.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TrF5df7J2DE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TrF5df7J2DE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Kevin and I have both seen these huge '2010 Taurus' billboards all over the area, plus there's more that I've seen along the expressways down towards St. Louis. The local dealerships even refer specifically to the 'all-new 2010 Taurus, the most innovative full-size car in America' in their radio ads. Maybe it's more of a market-based thing, but you can't really say that the new Taurus isn't doing well. Every FLM dealership I've been to is still having trouble keeping SHO's and high-series Tauruses on the lot for more than a few weeks. The cars that are piling up are the 2010 Mustangs, since a lot of people seem to be holding off for the '11 model 3.7L V6 and 5.0L GT.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
QUOTE (Stocker @ May 30 2010, 11:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807891
QUOTE (lucky13 @ May 30 2010, 10:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807887
The competition for midsize sedan is tough and selection is quite large[/b]
Well, it's a good thing the Gen VI Taurus isn't a midsize car then.

By my estimate, they sold about 50,000 2010 Tauruses in the U.S. That beats the Lucerne, probably beats the Avalon, and comes a little short of the Charger.
[/b][/quote]

Yep, right around 50,000 as of April 30th... and their May '10 sales should be getting announced later this week. Since the profitability target was 50-75k sales for this model, it looks like the car got pretty good sales numbers for a recession period.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, the Taurus is now more of a full size sedan, and the Fusion has kinda snuck in as the mid size sedan...Mid size sedans sell better than full size sedans, I believe.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I still don't dig the hatchback rearend. Overall a nice revamp.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Instead of offering rebate incentives to sell the new Taurus, Ford should only use the 0% financing incentive. This way, the resale value isn't hurt when they become used cars. I seem to see more Sonata's, Camrys, and Accords around here than I do the new Taurus. If the new Taurus, as well as other Ford models, manage to keep good resale values, as well as the improved reliability, should attract more buyers to the brand.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
It's an overpriced wannabe. Too many better choices out there for the money they ask for it.
I like the fusion. I would buy it over the taurus any day.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
870 Posts
QUOTE (Brian_05_SEL @ May 30 2010, 03:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807928
QUOTE (goodbrosUIT @ May 30 2010, 12:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807902

EDIT

Just saw a "swap your ride" commercial. There is a Taurus in the beginning of it, just haven't seen one get swapped yet.[/b]
:huh:

There is a full Swap My Ride ad for the Taurus. Here is a copy on Ford's YT channel; it's been airing in the Chicago area about as often as the one with a Fusion.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TrF5df7J2DE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TrF5df7J2DE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Kevin and I have both seen these huge '2010 Taurus' billboards all over the area, plus there's more that I've seen along the expressways down towards St. Louis. The local dealerships even refer specifically to the 'all-new 2010 Taurus, the most innovative full-size car in America' in their radio ads. Maybe it's more of a market-based thing, but you can't really say that the new Taurus isn't doing well. Every FLM dealership I've been to is still having trouble keeping SHO's and high-series Tauruses on the lot for more than a few weeks. The cars that are piling up are the 2010 Mustangs, since a lot of people seem to be holding off for the '11 model 3.7L V6 and 5.0L GT.
[/b][/quote]

I've yet to see this swap your ride commercial here in the Northeast or any Taurus billboards for that matter!

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
QUOTE (toronut @ May 30 2010, 09:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807992
:) X2 on the new Taurus being too pricey. The Fusion makes more sense size-wise. I'd be very leary of the repair costs of the new SHO, the underhood pics are frightening.[/b]
na nothing frightening about. Tasca my car is broke come and pick it up. :lol2:
I didn't have mine long enough to rack up any repairs.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting, I read all your notes and thank you for all your opinions. I do believe the redesigned Taurus is a winner. I ask many people today about the Taurus, many of them had one in the family or knew someone with one but only a few knew there is a new Taurus. I also was surprise to find the same people having knowledge of the latest Toyota and Honda cars. I once again have to agree with my friend and say it again " The Taurus needs a more agreesive marketing campaing" and as far as 50,000, I hope they are not fleet cars.

Lucky

·
Registered
524 Posts
QUOTE (mwt @ May 30 2010, 04:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807955
It's an overpriced wannabe. Too many better choices out there for the money they ask for it.
I like the fusion. I would buy it over the taurus any day.

Mike
B)[/b]
I would get a new Mustang if I had the money for either. Anyway it's way too expensive. Yeah it's nice and all but there are other cars I would take over it. And the rear end, I'm sorry, i'ts just ugly.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (lucky13 @ May 30 2010, 07:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807998
Interesting, I read all your notes and thank you for all your opinions. I do believe the redesigned Taurus is a winner. I ask many people today about the Taurus, many of them had one in the family or knew someone with one but only a few knew there is a new Taurus. I also was surprise to find the same people having knowledge of the latest Toyota and Honda cars. I once again have to agree with my friend and say it again " The Taurus needs a more agreesive marketing campaing" and as far as 50,000, I hope they are not fleet cars.

Lucky
[/b][/quote]

It could also be a regional thing. I see plenty of American cars in my area, but as soon as I cross the pass to Sacto and the Bay Area there are a butt-ton of Japanese cars.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts