Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Taurus SES

I want to add some refrigerant but the A/C Pro and all the others have such huge connectors. I'm afraid if I bought a can and it doesn't fit, I wouldn't be able to return it.

The port points directly at the bracket on the shock tower and is 3/4" from it with the cap off.

Does this port look as tight as everyone else's? If so, have you had luck with any recharge kits?

I've looked on youtube and images and none of the Taurus's look this cramped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2004 Taurus SES

I want to add some refrigerant but the A/C Pro and all the others have such huge connectors. I'm afraid if I bought a can and it doesn't fit, I wouldn't be able to return it.

The port points directly at the bracket on the shock tower and is 3/4" from it with the cap off.

Does this port look as tight as everyone else's? If so, have you had luck with any recharge kits?

I've looked on youtube and images and none of the Taurus's look this cramped.

It looks just like the one on my Taurus. The first time i connected it seemed intimidating and really difficult but after doing it a few times it now seems fairly simple. Having said that, I cuss its location and wonder why its there. My F150 connection is in a very open and accessible location. I use my right hand to squeeze the quick disconnect and use left hand to push it on . I wear thin gloves for protection. Do it a few times and you will be alright, Good Luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Walmart has an EZ Chill hose and gauge in stock that I'll pick up tomorrow. It looks like it has a more compact connector than the others. It's made in the USA too.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
I charge with my Harbor Freight manifold gauge set. Zero issues attaching to the low side port, and since I can monitor both high and low side pressures while charging I get a much more accurate fill than just looking at a small, crappy and likely not very accurate gauge attached to a can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just tried the EZ Chill gauge on the low side port. It almost goes but it won't lock on.

So that rules out any hose and gauge from any auto parts store.

I've come to the conclusion that somebody somehow messed up at the plant when my car was built.

To put the low side port nearly against and facing the shock tower is equal to placing an oil dipstick directly below a master cylinder or something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Returned the gauge back to Walmart then went home and searched the internet for anything that looked like it might work, but no luck.

So I went back to Walmart and bought the same gauge again and decided to gamble. Got the Dremel out and started grinding away at the plastic above the quick connect coupler. Had to remove a lot of material but now it just barely clears the shock tower and is able to lock on to the service port.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
SImilar problem on my '99 Sable, new compressor so I replaced the hoses, can't pull vacuum on high side, bad fitting from Four Seasons defect, made in CHINA. Exchanged it with ROCKAUTO. Good now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts