Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off i am new to the site i have a few questions. My buddy has a 2000 mercury sable with the 3.0 duratec 24 valve dohc. It has been having problems idleing lately when it is in park or nuetral runs fine in gear. It like's to jump from around 800 rpms to around 1400 i was wondering could this be the iac?. I am fixing the car for him if so where would it be located on this motor? Should i check for vaccum leaks and what vaccum hoses should i check?. Thank you for your help jeff.

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Yup, good guess is the IAC. Check all the hoses that go into the intake manifold for leaks.

IAC location on Duratec:

It's the metal can with two bolts attaching it to the throttle body. There is a two-wire connector on the end of it.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
You can remove the iac and clean it with throttle body/air intake or brake spray cleaner to see if that helps, but sometimes replacement is necessary. If not an iac problem, i would suspect a faulty pcv hose. Theres a good explanation by Chart in a thread today: Fickle pcv valve.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If your Duratec is similar to my '03 Duratec, this is what I have found.
There are two vacuum elbows which I have had go bad in the since May 2011. Both are vacuum elbows. One is on the forward valve cover, to the right of the Oil Fill cap You can see it in any picture. The second one is connected to the Intake Manifold with a very strong spring clamp. You can reach underneath the rear of the upper intake manifold, and feel for it. Image a triangle between the brake booster and the throttle body. You should hear if that one is leaking. There should no vacuum sounds on the drivers side of the engine. Covering the hole with my thumb solved the problem, but wsn't a perament solution. I was able to repair the rear one with tape until I got the new part. (Still living with the tape job.)
It did involve removing the intake manifold. Don't lose the gaskets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i got the car today and pulled multiple engine codes. They are Po760. po171 po174 p1131 and p1151 not really sure what to think about these codes as i do not know what they mean. It seems to run fine other than the irratic idle issue and it does not do that at all times. I test drove it and got into the gas and there is no hesitation or anything that would make it seem that there is something wrong. I am lost i will check for vaccum leaks and check those elbows . The motor was a junkyard motor so it could be anything really. Please help thanks jeff.

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Here are your codes:
P0171 - System too Lean (Bank 1)
P0174 - System too Lean (Bank 2)
P0760 - Shift Solenoid C Malfunction
P1131 - Lack Of Heated Oxygen Sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 1) Switch, Indicates Lean
P1151 - Lack Of Heated Oxygen Sensor (Bank 2 Sensor 1) Switch, Indicates Lean

Because you have lean codes on both banks, you either have a large vacuum leak or the oxygen sensors are bad/disconnected. Or possibly a combination of the two. Check for vacuum leaks including around the PCV valve. Also make sure the oxygen sensors are present in the manifold and plugged into the wiring harness. They will have green connectors.

The shift solenoid code is from the transmission. Does it shift up and down through the gears smoothly? It might be wise to check the condition and level of the transmission fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you do what i suggested?
I looked for vaccum leaks at the spots you suggested. And every where else i could find vaccum leaks but nothing yet. I think i will try the iac see what happens to my knowledge the o2 sensors are hooked up. I will check everything else tommorow and keep you posted on my progress i am just a backyard mechanic who doesn't claim to know everything.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Is the engine from the same year? Looks like tou have a harness problem, like when you swap an engine from a different year - the wiring between the connectors and PCM changed in time.
You need to harverst the engine harness and PCM too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the engine from the same year? Looks like tou have a harness problem, like when you swap an engine from a different year - the wiring between the connectors and PCM changed in time.
You need to harverst the engine harness and PCM too.
Well it is there car they don't feel like spending a lot of money on it. I just want to fix the irratic idle i will replace the iac today see if that helps. Also doing a oil change and possibly changing the shift solinoid. I will check other things also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts