Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been trying to fix jill's ipod but no luck.
it's an ipod 4g and there is no sound.
i've tried different songs and different ear buds but still no luck.

any ideas would help greatly.
bryan

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Basically it's either dead, dying, loose where you have to jiggle the headphone cable to get sound, or loose/disconnected/bad headphone jack cable.

Unfortunately, the only way to see if it has anything to do with the headphone jack cable is to pry it open.

If you need to replace the cable, it's running $5-$10

If you need to replace the headphone jack assembly itself, anywhere from $8 for a used one to $30-$35 for a new one.

Also, check this site out:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/ipod-monochro...phone-jack.html

Not only a 6 minute video on how to replace it, but places to buy parts as well.

You could also bring it to Apple, but because it is out of warranty, they'll charge a decent amount to get it fixed.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Most likely a broken headphone connector solder point. Easy fix provided you have a small tip soldering iron.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (soccernamlak @ May 16 2009, 12:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725569
Basically it's either dead, dying, loose where you have to jiggle the headphone cable to get sound, or loose/disconnected/bad headphone jack cable.

Unfortunately, the only way to see if it has anything to do with the headphone jack cable is to pry it open.

If you need to replace the cable, it's running $5-$10

If you need to replace the headphone jack assembly itself, anywhere from $8 for a used one to $30-$35 for a new one.

Also, check this site out:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/ipod-monochro...phone-jack.html

Not only a 6 minute video on how to replace it, but places to buy parts as well.

You could also bring it to Apple, but because it is out of warranty, they'll charge a decent amount to get it fixed.

Hope this helps.[/b]
Thanks soccer.
i watched the video and did some searching but the ipod in the video
is not like hers. jill's is gray and has a gray metal shield around the unit with white dial and white top
ear jack and bottom charger.
not sure what year or gen it is.
bryan

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (soccernamlak @ May 17 2009, 10:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725950
You can buy them for cheap online....

And are you sure that's a Nano and not a mini? Does it have a color LCD?[/b]
ok went on ebay and searched mini and it's the same setup as mine with jack on top.

new jack is around ten bucks.

i tried the ipod on my bose radio using the docking station and it will not play that way either.

am i right to assume it's the jacks but, would both both not work or are they linked.
thanks soccer for all the help
bryan

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
QUOTE (risoworker @ May 17 2009, 10:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725954
QUOTE (soccernamlak @ May 17 2009, 10:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725950
You can buy them for cheap online....

And are you sure that's a Nano and not a mini? Does it have a color LCD?[/b]
ok went on ebay and searched mini and it's the same setup as mine with jack on top.

new jack is around ten bucks.

i tried the ipod on my bose radio using the docking station and it will not play that way either.

am i right to assume it's the jacks but, would both both not work or are they linked.
thanks soccer for all the help
bryan
[/b][/quote]

hmmm...usually the headphone jack is just a cable coming from the logic board to a slot for headphones...it just transfers your music from your hard drive to your headphones.

But if you can't get it to play with a docking station either, your logic board could be bad....that's a tad bit more expensive replacement than an audio jack cable.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I'll. Heck for this logic board. Is that what I search for?
Would you even bother fixing it?

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Depends on what you can get it for and depends what kind of sentimental value the iPod holds.

To give you a similar scenario, my aunt killed her logic board on a 3rd generation Nano (about 3-4 years newer than your model). Gave it to me for free. A new logic board would cost me $80. I could have gotten a refurbished working nano for $100. At this point probably a brand new one.

Best case if you want to fix it: Ebay the logic board or buy another broken iPod mini where the only damage is a cracked LCD or bad Hard drive or battery....something where the logic board is in working condition.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
:woot:

I fixxered it :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts