Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Ford Taurus SE - Daily Driver
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

My name is Casey and I just thought I’d introduce myself and my car. I also wanted to give a quick overview of my history with it so far and ask for any helpful advice as a Taurus owner.

Late last year I decided I had enough of dealing with my used VW Jetta and decided I was going to sell it and buy something less costly to repair and maintain. Some searching around online eventually led me to a dealership an hour away selling a white 2005 Taurus SE with 124k miles for a price I thought was very decent. My first car was a 98 Taurus that I loved, so I figured I would also like a less old version of that. I made the trip out to test drive, and then came back a few days later to pay for it and drive it home. I found out after speaking with the dealer and consulting the Carfax that the car was a state-owned work vehicle and was regularly maintained at the Ford dealership it originally came from for most of its life. I bought the car in November and have had few issues since then. The car is far from pristine, but still very clean. The biggest issue is the paint: it’s beginning to fail, and there several tiny spots and a couple larger spots have flaked off. Most of those spots are covered in a weird mismatched touch-up paint, especially around the antenna where it looks to be globbed on. Large portions of the paint that is there don’t look as glossy in places. The driver side headlight was full of moisture, so I decided to swap that with a cheap replacement from Eagle Eyes. Not the best idea in retrospect given the quality of it. However, I still prefer it to the one with water in it. The most expensive repair I’ve had done so far is replacement of warped front rotors and pads, as well as replacement of the rear shocks. Everything else on the car seems to be in good shape and I’ve driven it for about another 2,000 miles so far. I finally gave it a detailed hand wash and wax for the first time since owning it a couple weeks ago, and it cleaned up quite nicely. I literally drove it out to my local Walmart just to see it under their lights since it was dark by the time I finished.

Anyway, if there’s anything I should know or look out as a Taurus owner, please tell me. Ask me any questions regarding what I’ve shared here as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,557 Posts
Your car looks clean!!

Change ALL the fluids (oil, coolant, transmission, power steering, brake). Change the tranny filter also. DO NOT get a transmission flush!!! Just drain and refill. Use Mercon V ONLY. Check / replace engine air filter and cabin air filter.

Good idea to pick up a set of the factory repair manuals. Used set of manuals can often be found on Ebay.

·
Registered
2005 Ford Taurus SE - Daily Driver
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your car looks clean!!

Change ALL the fluids (oil, coolant, transmission, power steering, brake). Change the tranny filter also. DO NOT get a transmission flush!!! Just drain and refill. Use Mercon V ONLY. Check / replace engine air filter and cabin air filter.

Good idea to pick up a set of the factory repair manuals. Used set of manuals can often be found on Ebay.
I got an oil change the day I drove it home and the air filters were also replaced soon after when I noticed it was very slow with defogging. I picked up a Haynes manual off eBay, is that what you meant? Also, How often should I change the other fluids?

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Condensed version of the owner's guide in the pic. Good chance since with the Vulcan iron block engine, heater core bit plugged. Watch for OE A/C clutch to fail and ruin the pulley bearings. OE uses rubber springs which fail and let the clutch drag when not engaged. Pic of clutch design with rubber springs. Visual, there are present, or someone has replaced that steel springs design that does not have that issue. My pic of parts from the JY ~$12. Engine on the ground with new A/C. Easy pull.
HL, TYC is from RA on both my '03 Sable and '03 Taurus. My cheap just buy '05 for my grandson to get to college and work, got JY in nice shape for $50 for the pair. Belt needs inspection.
Congrats on your buy.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,557 Posts
Haynes, Chiltons, etc manuals are HORRIBLE!!! They are very generic, and in some cases completely wrong or misleading.

The only manuals worth getting are the factory Ford manuals published by Helms, Inc. They are specific to the year and model of the car. Big $$ new, but fairly common to find used ones on Ebay for 20% of the price new. The entire set, including the EVTM, are several hundred pages long and go into great detail on every possible repair.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The most important decision you are facing is: do I maintain the car myself. The Taurus (especially when it has the Vulcan OHV engine) is ideal for this. If the picture in your ID is any guidance, you have quite a number of years ahead of you, thus making any investment in tools and knowledge pay off in a big way. I wish I would have taken that radical decision earlier myself. I would have saved thousands of dollars. Not only in saved maintenance, but also in unnecessary, overlooked or even disastrous "repairs" by the Ford dealer.

But I have to admit it is a radical decision to say: nobody touches my car but me. Strangely enough, tools you will need for the engine are mostly common tools. Tools you need for the suspension are stuff you typically don't have (spring compressors, heavy 1/2" sockets and wrenches, ball-joint separator and ball-joint rings to push ball-joints in and out). You would have to invest in those. But labor is expensive and hardware is cheap. For example: 10 years ago I bought a 20 ton workshop press for $250. Seems ridiculous, but after replacing one single ball-joint, the whole press payed for itself.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
The most important decision you are facing is: do I maintain the car myself. The Taurus (especially when it has the Vulcan OHV engine) is ideal for this. If the picture in your ID is any guidance, you have quite a number of years ahead of you, thus making any investment in tools and knowledge pay off in a big way. I wish I would have taken that radical decision earlier myself. I would have saved thousands of dollars. Not only in saved maintenance, but also in unnecessary, overlooked or even disastrous "repairs" by the Ford dealer.

But I have to admit it is a radical decision to say: nobody touches my car but me. Strangely enough, tools you will need for the engine are mostly common tools. Tools you need for the suspension are stuff you typically don't have (spring compressors, heavy 1/2" sockets and wrenches, ball-joint separator and ball-joint rings to push ball-joints in and out). You would have to invest in those. But labor is expensive and hardware is cheap. For example: 10 years ago I bought a 20 ton workshop press for $250. Seems ridiculous, but after replacing one single ball-joint, the whole press payed for itself.
Days of compressing spring has past for most of us. Ready struts are the order of the day. Bulls break springs. By the time the strut needs changing, the spring is soon to break. Pic from my '03 Sable wagon, sold my '03 Sable sedan and guy who bought it took it in for inspection and it had a broken spring.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome to the Club!! You sound to be pretty well set off for now!

As for something to look into; The Coolant Lines. These Bulls are Notorious for Coolant Line obstructions, before winter comes back for another round definitely get those Coolant lines flushed, Temperature sensor cleaned out/ replaced and the Heater Core Flushed/ replaced. Otherwise you sound good for now. Goodluck out there Casey!

·
Registered
23 Posts
First, You might want to pull up the front passenger side carpet and check for dampness under the dash area. The AC unit has a tendency to drip and travel back into the cab and down under the carpet that rots out the passenger side floor. The fix for this is to silicon or gasket maker the "FOAM GASKET" that is used to prevent the water from leaking into the cab. The gasket fails at its job miserably.

Second, you might want to pull off the plastic rocker panel covers, (can't tell if there are any on your car) and clean them out good. They have a tendency to capture lots of dirt that likes to hold moisture which accelerates the rocker panels destruction. This can lead to your car becoming scrap. Mine almost died from it, I live up in MN where they religiously salt the roads which has a huge negative impact on vehicles here. I had to buy replacement rocker panels and had my dad weld and tack in extra structural support because they were becoming swiss cheese.

Third, keep a eye on your back wheel well areas for rust that will start on the back quarter panels. This will begin to bubble the paint and eat holes in the panels. There is a design flaw that has been acknowledged and they have released a service bulletin

NHTSA ID Number:10177863
Manufacturer Communication Number: TSB 20-2233
Summary

This article supersedes TSB 19-2026 to update the vehicle model years affected. Some 2000 and newer Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles equipped with aluminum body panels may exhibit corrosion concerns appearing as bubbled and/or peeling paint with or without accompanying white dust. Panel replacement is recommended

Fourth, listen for a squeaking or squeeling inside the engine bay. It may sound like a belt chirp, but you can pin point the spot and its not the belt. The CAM SYNCHRONIZER SHAFT begins to chirp when it starts going bad. If this fails it can destroy your engine quickly because it runs the oil pump of the vehicle. They are only good for about 140K miles and than you are on borrowed time. If you do repleace it, make sure to buy ONLY MOTOCRAFT replacement part for this item. It will be more expensive, however it's rated for 140K miles compared to half or even less on the other brands. Also, if this part fails, car goes by by...don't cheap out on this part.

More info on cam =

Fifth, look into what is called "The Big 3". It is upgrading a few ground wires and battery cables. You add these to your car, you do not replace the old ones. Adding thicker wiring and cleaning up grounds can help out the electrical on these cars.

More info on "The Big 3"=

Welcome to the family and club! There is tons of great information on this site, it has saved me many times. Hope you find what you are looking for here, and... eventual help others find what they are looking for. Good luck and take care of your bull and it will serve you well![/quote]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts