Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a not-so-good turned "good" day. Here's the events that took place today;

* Woke up late, with back ache
* Slipped, fell in the shower and hit my head
* Brushed teeth, but shoved tooth brush up my nose
* Dropped Mom off at work
* Late for school, trying to find parking space

(here's where the fun comes in)

found a nice parking spot next to my friend Josh's Caddilac (yeah, the boat thing <_< ) and a g1 Intrepid (horribly taken care of, I might add). I go to pull in, OH NO, the Intrepid backed in crooked.. I misjudge the distance between my passenger side mirror and the Intrepid's passenger side mirror and .... :blink: OH MY GOD, what happened to my mirror?! Yeah, I knocked that bastard right off, breaking the screws to hold it in. With the mirror just flapping at the door, I get out and jimmy it up to make it look like nothing is wrong, take a look at the Intrepid's mirror, noticing that YES it has fold away mirrors, so it did what it was supposed to. "THIS IS IT." I say to myself and head home. Horrible day, my car got beat up... This is crap :angry:

I text message Xavier (not knowing that he's on his way to work, driving) and ask if it's okay to get those mirrors off of Ruby, because he said I could have them if I wanted. He says its fine, and off to work I go.

I had forgotten that Ruby had heated mirrors and LRB did not. Once I read that on Ruby's mirrors, I was like "oh crap.. Do I have to mod these to work??" So I jump on the forums, and do a search. One came up that dissapointed me - Brad had responded to someone saying that unless I wanted to run wires to the rear defrost switch, it'd take too much time to actually get them to work.

<_< :( :unsure: is how I looked. "OH well, I can't just drive around with one mirror flopping everywhere, now can I?" I asked myself, and got to work - only to be stopped by the fact that I HAVE NO DEEP SOCKETS! I'm beginning to realize that the bull loves for me to keep going out and getting deep sockets, never had that problem with the Trep, but then again, the Trep was held together with about 100 miles of electrical tape <_<

So off to wal-mart I head, missing my mirror, door panel and tweeter. (Boy, staring at those stock speakers really makes you wanna upgrade. BADLY) I get a set of deep sockets, and pick up a cool tool-box then I'm on my way home.

Get home and open 'er up again, working and wondering if I can actually have the awesome option of heated mirrors now?

Guess what I found out? Heated mirrors are plug-n-play.

So anyone who wants heated mirrors on their g3, feel free! No extra wiring to hook up or splice or anything! I'm really happy with 'em.. and I really haven't gotten to try them out yet!

Hope this answers some questions about heated mirrors on a non-heated mirrored car! :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
Aww! Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays.

****- today is Wednesday...

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
So you just plug in the connector and you are done? Do the mirrors work by turning on the defroster or what?

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, simply plug the connections in like the original ones were plugged in. When you turn on the rear defrost, the mirrors start heating.

What I noticed about the non-heated vs. the headed mirrors is that on the mirror's cord, there is a connector with 5 holes for wires. On the non-heated mirrors, only the bottom 3 holes are used by wires. These should be the Power, Ground and... well I don't know what the other wire is for :p

On the heated mirror's cord, the connector is the same, although there are 2 more wires, which makes 5 wires connected to the switch vs. the non-heated's 3. So I guess, if one wanted to, they could run a wire to the non-heated's mirror connector and get the heated mirror glass and have a heated mirror without buying the whole housing.

I can get pics of what I mean on the weekend, if you'd like.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
No pics needed, you explained it well enough. That's pretty cool that we can swap them like that. I think I may just have to try that. Even though it doesn't get that cold down here in Georgia, it would still be nice to have them just in case. :D Thanks for the explanantion and experimentation.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Brushed teeth, but shoved tooth brush up my nose
Uhhmmmmm.
Aaahhhhhh. Ya know,I just, i dont know. Uhhmmmmmmm. :blink:

Im gladf to hear you got your car fixed,but,weeeelllllll, I gotta tell ya,If I ever shoved a toothbrush up my nose Id sit down and give some serious consideration to getting back in bed. :rofl: :smiley5:

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I have an 01 SES and want the mirror with puddle lights in them as well as heated... I would imagine those are plug-and-play as well.

How would I go about taking the mirrors off my car?

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Removal of the mirrors should be the same as the g3's I would believe...

So here's how I did it...

Take the door panel off of the car, it's held mostly by clips and a screw in the handle pocket. then take off the tweeter cover (it's a phillips head screwdriver) and then take off the tweeter, some small .. im guessing 8MM socket. then to take the mirror off, follow the wire from the mirror to the connector, disconnect it. Looking at where the mirror screws in, you need a deep socket and wrench. The socket was 11MM I believe. Unscrew carefully because at your last one, the mirror could fall off due to weight. Installation is reverse of removal.

The thing with the puddle lamps though, I'd love to have them as well.. however I believe you might have to run a wire to the entry illumination. But I'm not sure, never worked with a g4.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts

* Brushed teeth, but shoved tooth brush up my nose
Roflmao

It isnt an electric one is it?

BZZZZAAAHHHZZZZZZZ *Sneeze

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I laughed at the idea of heated mirrors when I bought my bull, then winter came and I quit laughing...They're most usefull when you go thru the carwash...leave them on so there warm and when you come out the water doesnt freeze over them :D

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Same thing happened to me, when i bought my bull one of the mirrors was broken on the inside, and i went to the junk yard, found a pair of heated mirrors of the same color...and found out that u could just plug and play...also i took some tweeters...which are also plug and play....a total of $50...not bad for two mirrors, two tweeters, and two covers (for the tweeters) :banana:

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by mike@Oct 20 2004, 07:19 PM
No pics needed, you explained it well enough. That's pretty cool that we can swap them like that. I think I may just have to try that. Even though it doesn't get that cold down here in Georgia, it would still be nice to have them just in case. :D Thanks for the explanantion and experimentation.
They are very handy when the mirrors are foggy, too. :)

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Oct 22 2004, 10:43 PM
Why did you get the tweeters? Your car didn't come equipped with them??? :huh:
Neither of my cars came with them (99 or 01). <_<

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by jason8225+Oct 22 2004, 09:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jason8225 @ Oct 22 2004, 09:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Firespirit@Oct 22 2004, 10:43 PM
Why did you get the tweeters? Your car didn't come equipped with them??? :huh:
Neither of my cars came with them (99 or 01). <_< [/b][/quote]
Woah. That must look *weird*.. Do you just have a blank space there in place of the tweeters??

I also found out that they left everything there from the lighted door panels from the 96's. Check it out: It's cool to see what they're too lazy to "really" delete :lol2:

·
Registered
157 Posts
There's covers that go over where the tweeters would be mounted, but there's no tweeters behind them. My '99 has the "speaker grill" looking covers, but there's just a mounting pod behind them, no tweeters........yet :ph34r:

·
Registered
132 Posts
My 04 Sable has no speaker pods on the sail panels, but has a circular plastic tab where the mounting screw for the pod would go, and when I took the door panel off, there was a connector for the tweeter.

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that when Ford would make such trivial cuts such as removing the under-hood light and glove compartment light, that they would continue to leave the tweeter wiring in place when there is no tweeter. If you're going to nickel-and-dime your flagship passenger car down, you might as well go all the way with it.

I also have a connector for a power antenna, despite (to my knowledge) no Gen IV sedans having them, only wagons.

Hey Ford, next time, why don't you delete the unused wiring harnesses and leave me my glove box light?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts