Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this past weekend at the NMRA Ford Expo I had the chance to talk to all kinds of people about some interesting ideas and options for our cars. While talking to a transmission person, he brought up an interesting swap option that he says he has seen done.
He said the Jaguar XJ (contour based cars) series 6 speed transmission will bolt right up to the duratec motor since those cars use the duratec based motor also. The major work involved is turning the motor 180 in the engine bay. The front of the motor is now at the back. He said he has seen it done and would try to find me some more information on it.
What does anyone else know about this possibility??? I do think it would be wild to have a 6 speed behind a good running duratec.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The XJ was RWD, the X-Type was FWD and the only 6-speed transmission that came in an X-Type was only found behind the 2.2L diesel model.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The XJ was RWD, the X-Type was FWD and the only 6-speed transmission that came in an X-Type was only found behind the 2.2L diesel model.
OK, that was my fault for the XJ, I dont know jags that well..LOL, I knew it was and X-something..LOL. I will have to wait and see what info, if any, this guy sends me and will re-post some information when I get it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The late 1st gen and 2nd gen Mazda6 used a 6-spd automatic, it was either Aisin or Jatco, can't remember which exactly, but it did have a "sport shift" manual gear selection. They were used with the 3.0L Duratec in the traditional FWD layout. So the bolt pattern is the same as the Taurus, but the transmission controls were embedded in the PCM, which was CAN-oriented. Wiring would be a nightmare and close to near impossible to integrate.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I saw the guy in Columbus again this past weekend who told me about the jag tranny swap. I was wrong, he is saying the X series and its a 5 speed. He said the hardest part is routing the hoses with the motor swapped around. I did look up on line last night, and all I saw that the x series is an AWD, so I dont know what would be involved changing that. The guy said its been done, so I did ask for some pics, well see if I get anything.

·
Registered
374 Posts
OK, I saw the guy in Columbus again this past weekend who told me about the jag tranny swap. I was wrong, he is saying the X series and its a 5 speed. He said the hardest part is routing the hoses with the motor swapped around. I did look up on line last night, and all I saw that the x series is an AWD, so I dont know what would be involved changing that. The guy said its been done, so I did ask for some pics, well see if I get anything.
The X Type came in FWD and AWD trims, but the engine was still mounted FF style:

There is no need to turn the motor. Don't know what this guy is exactly smoking.

The X-Type uses the Jatco JF506E-L 5-spd automatic. For reasons beyond me, this same transmission was used in the Mazda6 and Mazda MPV, but renamed it JA5A-EL. When used in the VW Golf, it again got renamed to 09A, obviously the bellhousing bolt pattern changed on this one, but the internals are identical.

So in short, you can get a transmission from an X-Type or Mazda6, the bellhousing will be correct, but it will probably be cheaper (And easier to find) if you go looking for a Mazda6 one. Again, wiring is the biggest issue.

Must say, eliminating column shift and going with a paddle shifter for my Bull sounds tempting.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so it is possible then. At times I wonder when people talk at car shows when they dont have a finished product to show. I was really thinkinh how neat it would be to have a 5speed floor or paddle shifter for the wagon. That would have to be really considered if the trans ever dies.:eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts