Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 Sable has developed the following problem. Most of the time, when putting on the right turn signal, it gives the fast clicking sound with no signal showing in front or back. Sometimes it works normally. If you hold the lever a little short of fully "pushed up," the signal works fine. It also seems to work fine if in addition to pushing it upward you also push it forward a little bit. So it seems like the problem is in the lever arm or some switch as opposed to a lamp or fuse.

I am not very handy, but would be willing to attempt a relatively simple replacement. Any thoughts about what this problem is, and the difficulty of fixing it myself?

Thanks

George

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Your multi-function switch is bad. The MFS is the turn signal/wiper stalk that you use attached to the steering wheel. There is a write-up on cleaning the connectors on it. You just pop the end cap off and scrape the junk out. It's very easy. If the switch is indeed bad, the part is around $35 and takes maybe 5-10 minutes to fix. Very easy.

If it's something else (Which I highly doubt) check back here. 90% of the time these problems are with the switch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts