Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced battery and starter. Still the car starts intermittently (more non-starts). When generator runs, 14.7 V at battery terminals. Battery itself has 12.5 V.

This is what I found.
When it doesn't start, the dashboard signs (warning signs) don't light up at ON position. Wiggle gear lever until the signs light up. And turn to START. Engine starts most of the time. Without the signs lit up, no start.

Is the ignition switch the most likely culprit? Is it a complicated repair?
I have the shop manual if I decide to do it myself.
Thanks.

2005 Vulan Flex Fuel 120k miles

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the gear select lever on the floor or on the column?
on the column.
The repair procedure seems to be straight, 2 bolts to remove a dashboard sub-underpanel, 2 bots to remove reinforcement bar, 2 bolts to remove the ignition switch. But is the ignition switch a likely culprit?

·
Registered
32 Posts
on the column.
The repair procedure seems to be straight, 2 bolts to remove a dashboard sub-underpanel, 2 bots to remove reinforcement bar, 2 bolts to remove the ignition switch. But is the ignition switch a likely culprit?
Quite honestly, it sounds like a loose/bad connection. Although, it could be the ignition switch since jiggling the column makes it connect.

Take it apart without removing the ignition switch and jiggle the wires in there and see if you can recreate the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Sounds very simple, the neutral safety switch (NSS). This is tied into the transmission / shifter to keep you from starting the car while in gear. By wiggling the shifter, this is telling me that the NSS is your problem. These can go bad and out of adjustment or just get dirty and not work right. I would look into that.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If I understand the original question, none of the lights come on the dash when it's a no-start? In that case, I would look hard at the ignition switch and it's connections.

The TRS/NSS would cause the car to think it was not in Park or Neutral and would not crank, but the warning lights would still be on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If I understand the original question, none of the lights come on the dash when it's a no-start? In that case, I would look hard at the ignition switch and it's connections.

The TRS/NSS would cause the car to think it was not in Park or Neutral and would not crank, but the warning lights would still be on.
^This.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks folks. With the new IGNITION SWITCH in, warning lights always come on at ON and engine always starts at START. No more jiggling of gear lever. 120k-mile-old car is revived!

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Self-celebration was premature. 5-6 repeated starting made me think problem was solved.

No warning lights at ON. Jiggled the lever. Nothing. Touched the key. Warning lights came on and car started.

Can the ignition barrel cause the same symptoms? If so, should the barrel be replaced along with new keys?
Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Self-celebration was premature. 5-6 repeated starting made me think problem was solved.

No warning lights at ON. Jiggled the lever. Nothing. Touched the key. Warning lights came on and car started.

Can the ignition barrel cause the same symptoms? If so, should the barrel be replaced along with new keys?
Thanks.

At this point it's pretty obvious that the problem lies in the wiring. Take it all apart again and use a voltmeter to check continuity of the various wires that are located there (it'd be a good idea to disconnect the battery while doing so).

There has to be a loose connection there somewhere, bad ground perhaps.

And look on the bright side, maybe you can return that ignition switch and get your money back. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts