Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
96 Sable, 3.0L Pushrod engine.

Sometimes it starts fine, sometimes it turns over real slow, other times the starter does not move at all as if no power. Very inconsistent but getting worse.
It never Clicks as when the solenoid is starting to go.

Starter is only 9 months old.

Today Autozone put there hand held tester on it and said the battery is good and the 'starting system' is good.

I put a meter on the battery and when holding the ignition switch in start position the battery drops very little.

The Started receives 12V on the big wire.

The small wire going to the solenoid only gets 2 volts (TWO volts) when the ignition switch in the start position.
This can't be right.
I thought this small wire only tripped the solenoid and should get 12v.
On the other hand I can't see how this small wire getting 2v would cause the started to spin slower.

Kinda stumped. :confused:

What can I check next to diagnose?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Bill

·
Registered
619 Posts
At 2 volts the solenoid should not even try to engage. Check the TRS, the ignition switch and related connectors for the small wire issue.

As for slow cranking, need to check voltage at the starter while cranking. Also check voltage drop from battery to starter while cranking.

Need to find a store with a clamp-on ammeter to test starter properly. The hand-held job at AutoZone that simply clips on the battery can't do the current test required to properly diagnose this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this issue with my sons Sable. Every couple months it would happen and leave him stranded. I finally tracked it down to a ground cable from the battery. Next time it happens, run a jumper cable to from the negative post to the engine block. If it starts right up, you have your answer. I further tracked it to the connection from the battery connector to the cable and only replaced the cable end for about $3.

It has been perfect for about 6 months now.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts