Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had new break pads rotors done back in august and after a month i started to get intermittent squealing on the right side after driving in stop and go traffic for 20 minutes or so , it stop when the breaks are pressed and when the wheel turns it stops then comes back once i hit the highway after a while it stops until i get in traffic again
had the dealer look at them they said the calipers are fine , no uneven wear

STUMPED !!!!

any ideas

thx

·
Registered
559 Posts
I can think of a couple possibilities. It could be that the shop somehow installed the new pads incorrectly. It's not rocket science so typically not the problem but you never know. Sometimes the pads have a backing plate or shims and they almost always require a bit of grease on the back side to prevent the squeal you are hearing so it could be they forgot to do that. Another possibility is the splash shield is bent and touching the rotor.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
18 Posts
had new break pads rotors done back in august and after a month i started to get intermittent squealing on the right side after driving in stop and go traffic for 20 minutes or so , it stop when the breaks are pressed and when the wheel turns it stops then comes back once i hit the highway after a while it stops until i get in traffic again. Visit AutoGuysLand to review car wont go into gear manual if you may concern. had the dealer look at them they said the calipers are fine , no uneven wear

STUMPED !!!!

any ideas

thx
I think it is also old or failing alternator that can cause this issue. If these bearings get old, dirty, worn out they can make squealing noise.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Um, I don't think the alternator has anything to do with this.
What kind of warranty does your brake work have? Take a video of the noise with your phone. After they hear the noise, they may have more interest in trying to fix it. If it's out of warranty, then take it to an independent shop to get a real diagnosis. I agree with the possibilities that Hornswaggle gave.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can think of a couple possibilities. It could be that the shop somehow installed the new pads incorrectly. It's not rocket science so typically not the problem but you never know. Sometimes the pads have a backing plate or shims and they almost always require a bit of grease on the back side to prevent the squeal you are hearing so it could be they forgot to do that. Another possibility is the splash shield is bent and touching the rotor.
Possibly, the funny thing is it does it more frequently when it’s warm out
When I turn the wheel it goes away then squeaks again when the wheel is straight

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
356 Posts
Try swapping front tires to see if it goes away or changes, cheap troubleshooting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts