Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Taurus GL with 80k miles. Sometimes it will idle at 1700 RPM at neutral. At times when I'm driving, it will seem like I'm at cruise control; It does not slow down when I let go of the gas pedal. I could feel the high idle when I brake. But it does not happen all the time. It started Saturday on my way to work. I don't know much about this issue, so I thought I'd get an expert's opinion.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The IAC is responsible for maintaining idle speed, so maybe pull & tidy it up internally with a plastic safe spray cleaner & see how it goes. Cleaning may not last, it didn't for me on my 99 Ranger & is probably why Ford recommends replacement rather than cleaning, but cleaning was a good trouble shooting step for me.
Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: nbpt100

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 1996 Taurus GL with 80k miles. Sometimes it will idle at 1700 RPM at neutral. At times when I'm driving, it will seem like I'm at cruise control; It does not slow down when I let go of the gas pedal. I could feel the high idle when I brake. But it does not happen all the time. It started Saturday on my way to work. I don't know much about this issue, so I thought I'd get an expert's opinion.

Thanks
also check for vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the problem. The throttle body was getting stuck as I hit the accelerator. I cleaned it and sprayed some wd40 and now the idling stays at normal range. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
OK, good find, fix, feedback & to hear the problem was so easily fixed with a cleaning of the TB & all seems well now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts