Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went shopping and when I got back to my 2003 Taurus Vulcan, it cranked slowly - like a classic low battery. I tried a couple more times and then nothing happened when I turned the key. I waited a minute and tried again and it started right up.

I have been testing it in the driveway. If it let it cool down a bit, it usually starts right up. If I shut it off and try to start it again right away, I just hear a weak relay click, but nothing else. I put my voltmeter on the battery and the voltage hardly dropped at all while trying to start it like this.

Most of the time it either starts instantly, or won't make any noise. Once in a while it does the slow crank, and sometimes starts that way.

Battery voltage doesn't drop significantly if I turn the headlights and some other accessories on with the car off, and when it does start, it usually starts instantly, so I am thinking the battery is ok. Alternator charging voltage seems to be ok also.

I'm leaning towards the starter motor brushes or some wiring issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,766 Posts
If cables check out OK, the next time it does this, have a helper hold the key in START and give the starter a good wack with a hammer. If it cranks up after the wack, replace starter.

·
Registered
11,077 Posts
Whack Starter?

If cables check out OK, the next time it does this, have a helper hold the key in START and give the starter a good wack with a hammer. If it cranks up after the wack, replace starter.

And if you whack it hard enough, it will break the Perm magnets and then it will be bad. But you may have not found the issue. :p

I would start with voltage drop from the bat+ to the starter connection while cranking. Takes two people of course. Anything over 250 mv is not good enough.

Happy cranking.

-chart-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts