Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this problem last year and thought it was fixed after replacing the battery, starter assembly and starter relay. Starts just fine when cold, but turn it off for a while and when the key is turned either nothing happens or the starter engages but won't turn the motor over (or at least I can hear the starter make a noise). When the key is returned to the off position the gauge needles jump around for 10 or 15 seconds and I can hear a relay clicking but cannot locate it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Electrical resistance is higher when temperature rises. I would carefully check your cables at the battery and the ground terminal (on the engine block usually).

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Towed the Sable back home and replaced the ignition switch assembly located under the steering column. Bought the part 6 months ago but failed to install it when the other parts seemed to cure the no start problem. Now it seems they only masked the problem for a while. Now I notice that the key itself turns smoother and returns to the run position like a new ignition switch should. Hope this is the final step in the no start saga. Miss Sable again runs like the lady she has proved to be.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts