Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum as a memeber but have enjoyed for months.

I have a 2001 Taurus SE with 120K. The engine is a 6 cylinder but I am not certain which model or size.

Anyway, my car has learned a new trick. As I am driving the dash warning lights will light up, the speedo and tack will go to zero, and the engine will hesitate (feels like it cuts out) for a second and then everything goes back to normal.

I also have noticed when driving at night that if I hold down the button for my electrical window and continue to hold after the window is fully down the headlights dim.

I have spoken to a few people and have heard everything from battery, alternator, coil, to total electrical system failure.

Has anyone experience this or can anyone guide me as to next steps?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Welcome to the club! You most likely have the 3.0L Vulcan.

You should have the battery load tested at an auto-parts store. If it passes, have them load test the alternator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, I think my 2001 has same issue with the lights but it's not bad. My old car had a serious problem with it but I had fun of it. Going down the road and say "on" I release the window switch..or any switch really. then "off" and I press the switch and just keep doing that for a minute or so.
As far as your engine cutting out really, seems it stalls but my auto knolege isnt excellent. It's just a sensor thats apart of your engine ###### up and so your computer probably reads it as a stall then it works again and then so does everything else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts