Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Taurus Sedan, floor shift. The brake shifter interlock solenoid has failed. Where is it located with a floor shift, and what is the procedure to replace it? I have isolated the problem through process of elimination.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is brake shifter interlock solenoid also called brake switch? Or totally different?
The brake switch is operated when the pedal is depressed. This switch is just below the steering column. When the switch is closed, power flows to the brake lights, and to the shifter solenoid. If the solenoid is faulty, when you step on the brake pedal,it blows the fuse, and no brake lights, no get car out of park. The solenoid is somewhere else, and prevents shifting out of park unless the brake pedal is depressed.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Brake Shifter Interlock Actuator - Floor Shift

Removal

remove the center console

remove the ignition/shifter interlock cable from the floor shift

remove the LH lower instrument panel trim

disconnect 4 electrical connectors

remove steering column support bracket

remove the nuts and lower steering column

disconnect the shift interlock electrical connector
(figure looks like the console interior)

remove the bolts

remove the ignition/shifter interlock cable and actuator assembly

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is this ignition switch for floor shift (kind of)?
Have fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all, especially Paker. As it is 9:30 here in Hawaii, I won't be getting to this until tomorow AM, and you are all probably asleep, but you have been a big help. I was afraid that what you were going to tell me is what you told me.

Mahalo and Aloha

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
Drbob1, there was a recent thread on here addressing this issue accompanied with pics. Might click on the search feature at the top of this page. The how-to tutorial didnt seem too complicated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts