Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Vulcan column shifter
I changed out the shifter cable, the old one broke.
Now I have a problem shifting into any gear. Feels kike it's locked, as if the key is not in ignition or brake not applied.
You can try it a few times then it returns to normal and you can select gears and drive normally.

Does the interlock depend on cable adjustment?
Or is there some other way to adjust the interlock?

The old cable did this occasionally.
The new cable does it a lot more frequently
All help and advice is much appreciated. John Kenneth

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
Do your brake lights work when the interlock fails? Interlock uses the 12 V brake light circuit to operate the interlock solenoid. The brake lights are often intermittent as the broken strands of wire going to the switch randomly reconnect / disconnect depending on exactly how they flex.

Relatively common for the wires going to the brake light switch to break inside the insulation due to the constant flexing the endure every time you step on the brake...... common Ford problem. I just had to fix brake light switch wires in my 86 Tbird 5.0L due to an intermittent internal break for the third time in the the last 34 years.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do your brake lights work when the interlock fails? Interlock uses the 12 V brake light circuit to operate the interlock solenoid. The brake lights are often intermittent as the broken strands of wire going to the switch randomly reconnect / disconnect depending on exactly how they flex.

Relatively common for the wires going to the brake light switch to break inside the insulation due to the constant flexing the endure every time you step on the brake...... common Ford problem. I just had to fix brake light switch wires in my 86 Tbird 5.0L due to an intermittent internal break for the third time in the the last 34 years.
This is logical but when brake lights were on, I still had the problem.
I adjusted the shifter cable at the range sensor and this solved the problem.
Seems like the best way to adjust the cable is to use the dashboard cluster indicator as your guide.
Set emergency brake.
Ignition on but not running. Put foot on brake and move shifter to D
Loosen nut on range sensor, make sure range sensor lever is turned clockwise as far as it will go.
Check shifter lever, make sure indicator is centered on "D" and tighten the range sensor nut.
Check indicator for each position. "N" is a good one, if you're exactly centered on the diagonal of the N you're good to go!

Have another related question:
If you do have a wiring problem with the brake switch (pictured) how do you fix it?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
Get a new connector with pigtail at the parts store or RA, cut the original wiring north of the break, and solder in the new connector / pigtail. BTDT a number of times on a fair number of Fords.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts