Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang:
I wanted to ask how the temperature is regulated within car? My '97 Sable is blowing hot air through the vents no matter where the temperature selector is pointed.

Can anybody give me a list of things to check or test? Or how the system works in general? I have checked my Haynes manual but it does not give a system overview. Thanks.

-Monsoon

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Which heating system do you have? Manual controls or EATC, the electronic one where you can set a desired temperature?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manual settings or controls. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Might have something stuck or the foam gasket may be bad in the duct work keeping the blend door open.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Sort of sounds like a blend door problem - google the net and/or search the Club on "blend door" (I can't get the Club search to work very well myself and a Web-wide Google search often brings up TCCA threads that our own search won't find...)

Assuming it's not clogged, coolant is always circulating through the heater core. The heat control really controls the blend door, which is meant to shut off the flow of air across the core (and into the cabin) when the heater control is on full cold.

·
Registered
346 Posts
QUOTE (Monsoon @ Mar 17 2009, 11:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709881
Hey Gang:
I wanted to ask how the temperature is regulated within car? My '97 Sable is blowing hot air through the vents no matter where the temperature selector is pointed.

Can anybody give me a list of things to check or test? Or how the system works in general? I have checked my Haynes manual but it does not give a system overview. Thanks.

-Monsoon[/b]

Blend door actuator?? it's under the dash in the area of the ICP (radio) maybe it is not tuning / stuck in heat. mine clicked and slipped until i took it apart and put new plastic gears inside it.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
If you remove the radio, you'll see the blend door actuator behind it. See if the little round part on it turns when you turn the temp knob. If it does, it's working, but the blend door could be broken. If it doesn't, you probably need a new actuator.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey gang thanks for the help. Where does one get a blend door actuator? Or the plastic gears? Thanks.

-Monsoon

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well i got my gears from the j/y. (Bought another blend door actuator for like $5 and it had a stripped gear too! Luckily it was not the identical gear to the one that went bad in my original so i combined the two and got a working one. I don't think they're terribly expensive new though. Did that turn out to be your issue? :)

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok gang:
I bought a new blend door actuator. Is there anything tricky about installing it? Like calibration or where the selector needs to be? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, for those of you that are interested here's what I did:
1) removal of the glove box 3-screws and disconnect glove box thread
2) removal of the black plastic trim panel in front of the glove box that covers the blower motor

Note the position of the actuator axis in relation to the temperature selector by referencing the square hole on the axis. This may be dark use a flashlight to see the actuator position.

With the key in the on position move the temp. selector until the original square hole on the actuator is in the same position as the new actuator. The actuator axis is keyed so moving this in the correct location is a must for installation. Things are tight and bitchin' is completely authorized.

3) Remove the electrical connector
4) Remove the 4-screws holding the actuator in place

Gently remove the actuator noting any special twisting. Install in reverse order.

Tools:
7mm socket (glove box)
8mm socket and wrench (actuator)

Keeper Kool....

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tested the actuator today. Confirmed the problem was the actuator and not the temperature selector. Attached is a PDF file that is a high level logic diagram how this system works.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts