Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 03 Taurus SES and want to do a couple of interior mods.
First I want to get rid of the buzzer/beeper. Can anyone tell me the exact location of the buzzer. I know it's up in the dash and I don't want to start tearing apart things if there is a simple path to it.
Other thing is the armrest, does anyone know if it's hollow? What I'd like to do is cut the top so there's an opening to put glasses etc.
Help me out here people. Thanks

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just got a 03 Taurus SES and want to do a couple of interior mods.
First I want to get rid of the buzzer/beeper. Can anyone tell me the exact location of the buzzer. I know it's up in the dash and I don't want to start tearing apart things if there is a simple path to it.
Other thing is the armrest, does anyone know if it's hollow? What I'd like to do is cut the top so there's an opening to put glasses etc.
Help me out here people. Thanks

i would be carefull about the buzzer check the wiper make sure they work. after unpluing it in my ford ranger they wired the windshield wiper threw it after un pluging it they did not work. or even dash lite check them stuff like that just to make sure every thing works. any ways just a tip btw i do not own the 03 so could not tell you the location of the buzzer or the arm rest.

·
Registered
374 Posts
In most mid-90s and on Fords, the buzzer/beeper is apart of the GEM (And it is truely outrageous) and the GEM controls a lot of items, it cannot be disabled or removed.

·
Registered
374 Posts
And gem would be what??????On a search nothing came up for gem or g.e.m.
Generic Electronic Module, I did verify that your 2003 does have it.

"The GEM consists of a variety of systems:

- instrument cluster warning indicator and chimes
- interior courtesy lamp control
- automatic headlamp control
- daytime running lamps
- wiper and washer (front only)
- heated rear window
- one-touch power window
- delayed accessory
- power door locks
- remote keyless entry
- perimeter anti-theft"

and

"If a concern is found in one of the subsystems, the GEM will record the concern in the form of a diagnostic trouble code (DTC)"

From the diagrams and R&R instructions it seems it is built apart of the instrument panel fuse box.

In short, the GEM cannot be disabled or removed without severe impairment of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The GEM is attached to interior fusebox under the driver's side of the dash. The speaker can be deactivated by desoldering or stabbing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
qwertz.
Thank you, that's the answer I was hoping for, can you add a little as to is there a wire that needs to be cut or desoldered etc. Any more info greatly appreciated.
Or I can drive out to Nevada from NY and have you show me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
qwertz, thanks again. The first link has no pictures and I'm hooked up to TW cable in NYC and have a relatively fast computer with windows vista but no go on the pics. Will try and figure it out

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
The thread i was thinking of had pics. but cant remember the author. Maybe black sable or black something? Dunno, sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Ya, gotta use the board to store pics. Photo bucket isn't the best,
:)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The photos in that topic were hosted on MySpace. The owner took them down apparently. Kinda SOL now unless someone else can provide pics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts