Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, i was wondering if any of you have pics of your painted interiors. and also, what is the fake leather stuff on my dash made of. i have a 96 GL

D

·
0 Posts
I have done a few interior color conversions. It's more involved than just painting. Paint will work in most cases Like door jambs, pillars, etc but for the dash door panels and other vinyl items paint will not stay there long if at all. A good quality vinyl dye can do a nice job of it but in my experience, the finish isn't as durable as the original which is typically that color when molded.

I had a '79 Mustang 5.0 that was blue on blue. Which means one too many things were blue, lol. I changed the interior to a medium smoke color and it worked pretty well. The hard part for me was to get carpet, seat fabric and headliner material to all match up with the dye shade I used. Took a lot of trial and error but when finished, it looked pretty good.

I do the same thing when I repair the older vacuum molded vinyl dashes that are used in my other cars. It's nice to get any color and be able to change it, although dark blue and black will always end up black.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doc, i wanna change my dull grey interior to black. can i just dye it all (which will be a pain) or can can i get a black interior fro the yard and put it in?

I

·
0 Posts
An interior swap is always an option, but finding a black interior is unlikely as Ford only made mocha and charcoal interiors.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes but i have a gen3. is it possible to remove the dash where the passenger airbag is?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that would make for a hell of a video clip

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by Lucky@Jan 30 2004, 12:11 AM
yes but i have a gen3. is it possible to remove the dash where the passenger airbag is?
Yeah, but it's not neccessary. Spray the dash down with Windex to cut through any Armor-All or plastic shines that are on the dash, and use masking tape and newspapers to cover instruments, window trim, etc. Works great. Trust me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts