Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Taurus Sport Duratec engine - interior and exterior trim lights won't shut off and have to be shut off by remote - then interior lights started going on by themselves overnight?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interior and exterior trim lights go on by themselves.

I have to use my remote key fob to turn off the 3 interior and 8 external lights. They stay on when I slam the driver's door - I have to lock and unlock the car 1 to 3 times to get the lights to turn off. This has gone on for 2 years. The general repair mechanic who has worked on this car for 5 years said I should try squirting WD-40 into the latches. This works for a while (2-3 months) and then it starts again. I also squirted aerosol lithium grease into the latches. Recently, the lights started going on by themselves in the middle of the night. I now have to unhook the battery every night to keep the battery from going dead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I slam the driver's door, the 3 interior and 8 exterior lights stay on. Then, I have to take the remote key fob and lock and unlock the car 1-3 times before the lights will go off. I have squirted WD-40 into the door latches numerous times. Also squirted lithium grease into latches. I was told by a neighborhood repair garage mechanic that the interior light switches are inside the door latches. This has gone on for 2 years. But recently, the lights have started going on by themselves in the middle of the night. My solution has been to disconnect the battery negative terminal every night.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The door latch problem is likely not the cause here. Even if it was that, the battery saver relay will kick in eventually even if the doors are being detected as open, to avoid the dome light killing the battery. The parking lights are also not supposed to be on simply because a door is open. It sounds to me like there's a problem with the GEM or the driver's door accordion wiring. It's detecting phantom signals from your keyfob and doing the whole unlock routine over and over at random.

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
The door latch problem is likely not the cause here. Even if it was that, the battery saver relay will kick in eventually even if the doors are being detected as open, to avoid the dome light killing the battery. The parking lights are also not supposed to be on simply because a door is open. It sounds to me like there's a problem with the GEM or the driver's door accordion wiring. It's detecting phantom signals from your keyfob and doing the whole unlock routine over and over at random.
Quick sanity check. Is the lighting the same as if you push the buttons on the door? Had Lin Cont, push button system bad, same is if you pushed the button and turns interior light on, or as in some, puddle lights. This over rides the battery saver and runs the bat down.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
If you push any of the buttons on the keyless entry pad on the driver's door, the entire lights should come on. Pressing 7•8 and 9•0 locks the car and should shut off the interior and puddle lights

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,009 Posts
If you push any of the buttons on the keyless entry pad on the driver's door, the entire lights should come on. Pressing 7•8 and 9•0 locks the car and should shut off the interior and puddle lights

Assuming he has keyless entry...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have a keypad - standard lock and remote key fob. Someone told me there is a computer module in this car that is acting crazy. This car thinks it's a Christmas tree - 11 lights go on when you hit the remote after it's been parked. It has 15 lights all together, not counting the headlights . I'm still trying to understand how the lights could come on by themselves in the middle of the night. Ghosts?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I don't have a keypad - standard lock and remote key fob. Someone told me there is a computer module in this car that is acting crazy. This car thinks it's a Christmas tree - 11 lights go on when you hit the remote after it's been parked. It has 15 lights all together, not counting the headlights . I'm still trying to understand how the lights could come on by themselves in the middle of the night. Ghosts?
Haunted Ford products :lol2:

Seriously though, the GEM is probably your culprit. I'd assume an issue with the low current board that's kicking on relays when it shouldn't be. Go to a junkyard and grab a GEM from any 00-03 Taurus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts