Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 96 LX wagon that had been garage kept all of its life. Left the care out in a heavy rain the other night and noticed that the passenger side front floor mat and carpet below was soaked. I checked the moonroof and up under the dash as well as around the outside of the windshield and found no evidence of leakage. Can some one please help me! Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't like this when you parked it? That's often a clear sign of a failed heater core. Hope that's not your cars case.

My Sable sedan has a leak in the right rear leading directly into the trunk. Not to "overwork" myself, I simply drilled two drain holes.

J

·
0 Posts
I somehow remember this being some kind of known issue. Anybody remember?? I'll check the archives. The liquid doesn't smell like coolant does it? If not then it shouldn't be your heater core.

J

·
0 Posts
This was posted by CincySES in October of last year in the archives, but I'm not sure if this is relevant to Gen 3's, anyways, here it is:

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, but I wanted to offer what I believe is the definitive solution to the wet floor issue that has come up a couple of times here.

I have a 2001 SES and noticed the wet front passenger footwell. I used a wet-vac and hoped a passenger had spilled a waterbottle. No such luck as it was soon wet again. I feared some sort of leak from the windshield or from the heater but it was MUCH SIMPLER!

As the footwell begins to slope upward toward the front of the car, there is a black rubber stopper plugging a hole that goes through to the outside. This was not properly seated (and it did not appear that it COULD be properly seated). By sealing this with silicone, the problem was resolved once and for all.

The stopper which seems most likely to leak (because it is in the bend of the footwell where it begins to form the slope of the footwell under the dash) is NOT acessable from under the car, so here's what to do.....

To do this first remove the plastic trim on the door sill. (No tools needed, it just pops off with a little physical persuasion). Next carefully pull back the carpet (enough to see the rubber stopper). You may also wish to pull it back further to check the stopper in the center of the footwell. Third, pull the stopper out, I used a small flat screwdriver to pry it gently up. Forth, put a generous amount of silicone in , on, and around the stopper. Finally, put the stopper back in and seal above it with a little more silicone. You're done! Just put the carpet back down and pop the sill trim back on.

I did leave the car in the garage with the carpet pealed back and the windows down overnight to be sure the pad was dry, as it is attached to the underside of the carpet and was still wet.

I hope this helps!![/b]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to thank all of you for your helpful information. To answer some of the questions: I did check the smell of the liquid and it did not smell like coolant. I will pull back the carpet in this area and check the grommets, however, the carpet was dry when the car was parked and it then rained that evening. If the water came up from below the carpet how did the top side of the rubber sided floor mat become wet? That is what is still bothering me. The headliner or none of the associated trim over this area was wet or stained.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tonight we had continued rain and I found the leak coming from under the Glove box coming down some coiled insulation around some wiring. Still don't know the actual source unless it is windshield outside underneath the lower plastic panel which runs along the base of the windshield. Is there supposed to be a drain that could be blocked in the outside air vent beneath the windshield???

J

·
0 Posts
That's good that you found the leak.
I know on Gen 3's the plastic piece at the base of the windshield is known for having the little plastic screws that hold it down to go bad. Might want to check that because if those are no longer holding, it is probably preventing it from sealing against the windshield. I had this problem on my 99 - but didn't develop any leakage (that I noticed).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had the same problem for months, but on the drivers side front. Whenever it rains hard. I find a little wet spot, or sometimes a little puddle in front of me. Not to comment too much on the cleanliness of my car, but it usually smells like dirt.

Any idears?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts