Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey all,

i'm working on a project to swap my tan leather interior (leather was cracked to sh_t when i bought the car only 68K miles! how reckless :angry:). when i finish it will be mostly black interior with tan accents. i stumbled upon a 2000 ses with mint condition charcoal leather @ U-pull & grabbed seats plus carpet/rear-deck carpet. but here are my issues:

i want black carpet (going to paint from charcoal) & i will keep the tan headliner & paint the sunroof trim black. the dashboard is brownish/tan but i want to remove it & paint to black/tan. maybe even the steering wheel to black. are there any write-ups or procedures so i can see if this is more trouble than actually worth? i really dont want to settle for the dashmat look..

i have column shift & i love the bench console (i doubt Ford ever even thought of a charcoal leather bench console) so i was trying to figure out how to wrap the tan leather with charcoal to make a custom console. if not i will have to get it upholstered..

all trim will be easy to paint but how can i paint the dashboard, steering wheel & door panel material? those textures seem difficult for paint to adhere to. has anyone ever painted this stuff?

i really wanted to do as much black as possible & leave just enough tan accent in the car for a custom feel. but nothing tacky.
sheesh got my work cut out for me :homer:

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I wouldn't paint interior plastic parts... Probably won't hold up for the long run unless you find a really good plastic paint. My dad's friend tried it in one of his cars and used the wrong paint and it never even dried right and ended up having dust stick in it and ended up completely ruining the dash. Why not just pull the whole black interior from a donor car?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i hope there's some decent paint out there for this material. also i read you have to use some type of primer or something to make the paint adhere better..

completely swapping out interior from the '00 i found is a last resort. closest thing to black in that interior is the 'charcoal' seats/belts. everything else falls in the gray category and if I have to two-tone I prefer black/tan over black/gray to blend with everything else im going to do later. and i didnt plan on messing with headliner as its from a non-sunroof '00 anyway

·
Registered
198 Posts
yeah i hope there's some decent paint out there for this material. also i read you have to use some type of primer or something to make the paint adhere better..

completely swapping out interior from the '00 i found is a last resort. closest thing to black in that interior is the 'charcoal' seats/belts. everything else falls in the gray category and if I have to two-tone I prefer black/tan over black/gray to blend with everything else im going to do later. and i didnt plan on messing with headliner as its from a non-sunroof '00 anyway

its called adhesion promoter.:mellow:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

its called adhesion promoter.:mellow:
^^^ yeah what he said :rolleyes2:

sounds like i'll be pulling all donor parts anyway cuz i dont think I can drive w/o dashboard for the trillion hours it will take to paint

1 - 5 of 5 Posts